For Betta owners Question

1. joya

joya Valued Member Member

Do betta fish get big? They never seem to grow larger than what they are when you buy them. Just curious! I would love to see my betta get big. If so can anybody post a picture of there pretty bettas.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

They get to be about 2 inches long unless you get a King Betta which I believe gets larger.

3. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Them growing after you get them depends on how old the betta is. Obviously if you buy a baby betta you'll see growth. I've seen some growth in my betta and he wasn't a baby when I got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. alyymarie

alyymarie Valued Member Member

Usually they don't get much larger, since they are generally at adult size once you see them in the store. The king bettas are quite a bit larger if that's what you're looking for, I have one of those. The rest of my bettas are regular, my biggest one is probably my female Rainbow:
    rainbow 2.jpg

She lived in a community tank for a while and was eating so much that she had a growth spurt.

5. atb224155

atb224155 Valued Member Member

The male betta that I recently lost was already big when I got him. Compared with some of the other male betta pictures that I saw and the one that a friend of the family had, he was pretty big.

2014-04-09231517_zpse9189878.jpg

This is a picture of him and he was like that when I got him

6. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

They'll sometimes grow if they were still pretty young when they were sold, but most pet store bettas are already full grown. Bettas bought from breeders are more likely to be young and still have a little growing to do. I have had the occasional pet store betta grow a little bigger, but not usually by much and only if they were small to start with. That said, I've also got one that was tiny when I bought him and never grew at all, still the same little squirt as the day I got him.

7. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Depends on the age when you get them :) when o got my two girls i thought they were quite big... But they grew :) theyre about 1.5 inches now and they seem to have stopped growing

Attached Files:

8. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Most bettas sold in petstores are adults already, so it's not surprising they don't grow much after you get them.

9. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407235296.187088.jpg

My girl also grew from the time I got her and she was a cup betta at PetSmart. She even changed colours from a pinkish-purple to a dark purple. I believe she's about 2 years old now. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

It does seem as though pet store females are often younger than the males and therefore more likely to continue growing. The breeders probably ship females out earlier since they aren't waiting for the fins to develop, whereas with males they want them to look their most impressive so people buy them.

11. OP
    OP
    joya

joya Valued Member Member

Such impressive & beautiful pictures of bettas. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app