For best colors?

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
arky
I plan on getting a RTS for my new tank, and am doing some research before hand. With that said, I have a few questions about bringing out their colors.
You see, I went to Petsmart to see their sharks. They are suppose to be a dark black color, with a bright red tail. But at Petsmart, they are a lighter brown color with pale red fins. I'm guessing it's just because they aren't taken care of there, and I am certain they are RTS, and not rainbows, The labels usually don't lie.

Anyway, I know getting a darker substrate could help, I was thinking about getting black sand for my new tank, and a dark blue or black background. It's gonna' look so sexy...
Color enhancing foods could also be a good choice, but which one is the good choice?

This is what I've been feeding my mollies and platies. Mainly because it says "color enhancing" on the front of it, but also because It's cheap. ;D

I also give this to them a couple times a week, they love em'! Anyway, not sure my shark will really enjoy livebearer flakes.

I was going to start getting some freeze dried bloodworms or brine shrimp to start throwing in there every couple times a week. I know I'm suppose to give them freeze-dried or live foods like this often, and I thought I was (the Nutrafin has freeze dried tubifex worms in it) But I was wanting to go a little further and give them something really nice.

So, any live foods that could make the colors better?

Thanks!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I can't say for certain that foods claiming to be color enhancers actually do what they are supposed to do.

Fish can change colors according to their moods. More than likely the fish you select will regain the original colors once he/she is in a tank and settled in. The fish you saw may have been stressed, relaxed, ill, it's really hard to say.

I wouldn't worry so much about the color enhancing foods at this point.

Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use color-enhancing food, but I don't think it really does anything. I think that a healthy variety of frozen, fresh, and nonfrozen foods is the best thing for them, along with being in a cycled tank without a lot of stress.

Any freeze-dried food should be presoaked in a bit of tankwater, or even better, in some garlic juice.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Most of the food I see is "Colour enhancing" but I too am a bit sceptical about the truth of this! My fish get a variety of foods and enjoy each and every type, but then, they are greedy haha!

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I suspect the RED in the tail can also be a status thing. In a group, the dominant one would have the brightest red.

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you did your research you know they dont do well in groups of the same species there better singly thats probaly why there not reallly colored up there to stressed.

Those color enhancement foods like other said are nothing. just a good varied diet is best

Good Luck with one

Chris

Last edited:

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If your water quality is good than I'm sure you're new RTS will color up nicely. As others mentioned a varied diet is always good and will most likely contribute to better colors on your fish.

Good luck

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, this is an old thread. I didn't end up getting one... I went by Petsmart to pick up a tank separator for my fry tank(waste of money...that separator didn't do squat...) and walked out with 5 Peppered Cories because the catfish are all on sale and I couldn't resist...
I now have 6 bottom feeders, how many until there is a problem?

Besides, at this point I think the shark would pick on my neon tetras, because I ended up getting neons instead of skirts.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom