For anyone interested in dropsy in bettas

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is Mars. Anyone that has seen my thread about Mars' big belly should know that he now has Dropsy. This is very bad as it is incurable and one of the worst things that can happen (I have been through it before, not pleasant at all).

I have attached a few pics. I also have a video and the link is below, it should appear automatically. Oh, and I apologise right now, but the audio is some really popular but oh so awful UK soap (Coronation Street) that came on while I was tending to him! As I'm rubbish with technology, the sound has to stay, so you might wanna put it off for the vid!

Pic one is when Mars first got big. The second and third ones are him now. You can see how big he is and how he has stretched so much that all the colour has been lost from underneath him. He has not pineconed yet, but this will happen soon :'(.

I know it's difficult to watch (it is for me anyway), but I hope it helps at least one person to understand and recognise it.

Attachments

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
awww poor boy. i'm sorry. I had one who died from dropsy. it is really sad to watch. it's hard to watch any fish suffer. I watched my cory the other day get worse and worse....I thought about putting him down, but I didn't have clove oil/vodka....though I could get the vodka from my neighbor....i'd have to search for the oil. have you ever done that?

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aawww...poor Mars.... he is too horrible..... really sorry for that...I can understand how you feel for it, coz I have gone through that very recently...:'(

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know Deeps, told you I knew what you were going through, and here he is right now, poor boy.

Jeri, I have, three times. I had a random outbreak of sick fish, I lost 4, but 3 got too bad to continue so I had to put them down. At least it's peaceful, Mars will et the same respect when his time comes too, he is my very first betta, and has been great, and through a lot since I got him, I owe him that much at least when he really needs me

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Poor little guy. Sorry you're going through this, Tiger.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry. I think many of us, me included know what you're going through.
It sure isn't easy. Just know we're thinking of you and mars. :console:

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Poor little guy! I'm so sorry!!! My brother lost a platy not too long ago to what I now think was dropsy. I just didn't know anything about it then.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking about you and Mars yesterday, was wondering how he is doing. Sorry he's not feeling better. keep us updated.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Ayelie , I was thinking about updating, but since Deeps & myself have encountered it recently, I thought I should try to be educational with it too

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
All the best, I understand your feelings also and give my condolences. i've had 3 bettas and lost the last 2 to mysterious dropsy . I have found very, very cold vodka is a very fast and seemingly painless way to euthanise when the time comes.

I read somewhere that constipation can help bring it on, so my current betta gets a chopped de-skinned green pea 1-2xweek and so far so good (i've had him almost a year, the others died at ~9months and ~6months). Also have been feeding this one HikarI gold rather than the cheaper stuff so maybe that has also helped. Also going to introduce some galirc soaked food soon as i'm sure it can only help keep him in top form.

I also realised I had the last 2 in overstocked tanks, so that may have contributed also, but Mars looks like he has a lovely spacious home. He looks well loved, so you can always congratulate yourself on giving him a good life.

It's so hard to tell what, if anything, brings on dropsy. I read an article on bettatalk that I can also be common in bettas due to overbreeding in some lines which result in weak kidneys - thus it becomes a congentital problem.

Good luck and thanks for the video.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Lea (welcome if I've not already said it!), you're correct, you found the same info I did I think. It's worst not knowing the exact cause, huh? Mine's always look forward to Saturdays - pea day lol, gives them something to chase!!

Oh and they love garlic soaked food - I heard it's good for the immune system too, so you'll be doing a good thing.

He has been a great betta, no problems or hassles. I'm not going to drag it out when it comes, I have the clove oil and vodka ready, I'll keep you and everyone else updated. A lot of people followed his story when I first broke the news, I like to keep them informed.

P.S. Glad it's going much better for your current betta too

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh that is sad, he is such a strong boy to stay swimming like that and not let it get on top of him. I wish there was a cure. Mars, you are a little hero with a lions heart. Hold in there Tiger, it is so sad to watch but he knows you are looking after him.

Off topic, love the nail polish colour!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tigerfishy
Is there any change in Mars?? Hope he's feeling better.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No change, not seen him since Tuesday, but I would find out if he is diferent to what he was.

Fishtroy, thanks! It was in a vain attempt to get him to swim the other way!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
keep us updated tiger.....you said he was your first right? my first boy, fred, is a blue vt. I am more connected to him than the other two. I know it's hard, and I am sure when my first goes, it'll be hard for me too.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey girl
I'm still hoping for Mars. You keep the faith too.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw thanks guys, he is my first betta yes.

The bf is picking up some salt solution to add to his water for now as he has got even bigger, which I did not know was possible and I feel it looks very uncomfortable, he was absolutely fine with the salt, so if it even helps to reduce it a little, I will be happy. If not, it will do him no extra harm,. I'm trying hard, but I have NEVER seen a betta as big, he is bigger now than in the above pics, I'll post them tonight too, for the purpose of the thread title...

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I saw one of mine get so large I thought he might pop if I left him it is shocking but amazing how this disease goes - but that said he kept on swimming and eating well until the pineconing happened. After that he stayed in the corner hiding and I felt that was the time to let him go.

All the best

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here's a video from Sunday, and a couple more pics...

Attachments

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
awww poor thing is still fluttering at you.....i'm surprised he can swim that well....how long have u had him?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads