for all the African Cichlid Guru's!! Question

1. bruiser Member Member

Hey,

Just wondering if its a good idea to have a krib, a chipokee cichlid, and a Giraffe Haplochromis In a tank together??

I got them all from my LFS, and they said they would all be fine together.. But they were all in tanks labeled "assorted african cichlids" I got doing some research to find out names and whatnot, and I'm under the impression they may not be all that compatible..

They all seem happy.. no one is getting bullied.. and there all fairly small.. about 1-1/2" to 3"

Thanks for the help!

Chris.

2. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Your right, they are not really compatable fish. The Krib is from soft, acidic african rivers & likes lots of vegetation & peaceful tank mates. The other two are from lake Malawi & need hard alkaline water. They will also be likely to destroy any vegetation except for the toughest of plants. The chipokee is a highly aggressive fish. Possibly the most aggressive of all the mbuna species. It will bully everything in your tank most likely. If I were you I owuld probably return at least the krib as it won't stand a chance against the other two. The haplochromis might be ok but I would have my doubts about that to. Pick which one is your favourite & return the other two IMO. Unfortunatly rift lake cichlids don't show thier true nature until they have reached full maturity so your fish may be behaving for now but I don't think it will last for very long that way.