Footprint or Volume for Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jay275475, Aug 7, 2015.

1. jay275475Valued MemberMember

I really like the idea of using an under bed shaped container but they are only 16 gallons however they have a lot more floorspace then a 30 Gallon which would be better for a goldfish? (With the 16 gallon would do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMsg5toGxw )

Wouldn't the 16 gallon hold more goldfish but it would need more work?
    Because nitrates would be higher?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What kind of goldfish are you wanting? Most (if not all) get too big for that setup. Are you going to be transferring them to a larger tank or pond when they get bigger?

3. jay275475Valued MemberMember

Fancy Goldfish, Probably Fantails because they are the smallest. I might eventually get a bigger tank but I like that kind of setup.

Back to the other question wouldn't it be able to hold like 3-5 Fancies compared to 1-2 in a 30 gallon?

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't know about you, but if I were a goldfish, I wouldn't want to be kept permanently in that setup. Shallow water, no live plants, no substrate.

5. jay275475Valued MemberMember

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'm not sure if the 30 gal would be better. Just saying I wouldn't want to live in an empty, shallow box. The second video looks much better though! Maybe some goldie folks can chime in?

7. jay275475Valued MemberMember

The first video was a test build, the person said it was just a plumbing test which i liked :p

8. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I thought pearl scales were the smallest? And I didn't see any media. Were you planning on adding some?

Goldfish need floor space and volume from what I understand about them. Which isn't much.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

9. jay275475Valued MemberMember

Yes, I would make some type of mini trickle filter setup. Would that be better suited for goldfish then a 30 gal if its properly maintained?

EDIT:
    This is storage bin I was interested in using

And 7" height is enough for a tennis sized fancy right?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Pretty sure they need a lot more height than that......

11. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I would look into a stock pond before a storage bin. For one thing, storage bins are not designed to hold water and will inevitably fail over time. And like Anders said, that is too shallow. They need a good footprint, water volume, and the container needs to be tall enough for them to swim vertically as well as horizontally. The vids you linked are cool. But not something I would do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice