Football??

Tazmiche
Ok. I am English as many know and LOVE rugby. Dave and I have chatted recently about it and i'm now starting to watch NFL games on the net and sky. I am sure I will enjoy it but I HAVE NO IDEA OF THE RULES!!

For me in a scrum one team wins the ball and then it is thrown backwards to a team member. I saw a US scrum ball thrown forward.!!

Ok I HATE English football/soccer so would anyone like to teach me BASIC NFL rules so I can get to grips??? Please

COBettaCouple
well, I think i'd just confuse you, but this link may help: it's best to explain it as you're watching a game, as with any sport really.

Jimold
wow, I can help, I love football, but I'm not sure where to begin. What you saw was called a forward pass, and is legal, under certain cercumstances. For instance, the quarterback, as he's called, can not pass if he's crossed the line of scr, or a fancy way of saying where the ball was when the play started. If he crosses that line and then passes, the play is ruled dead, the team with the ball get a penalty, and then do the play over.

Anyway, the basic object is for one team to get the ball to the other side of the field. Perferably by running or passing it to someone at the end of the field. This is a touchdown, and usually worth 7 points (not always). Or, you can try and kick the ball thru the goalpost at the end of the field. This is a fieldgoal, and worth 3 points.
Obvously, the team with the most points at the end wins.

I guess what I need to know is how much american football have you seen, and how much do you know now? Trust me, there's plenty of american football nuts here that would be glad to babble about the game....lol

Tazmiche
lol , JI'm that's great!

Dave i'm off work tomo so I'll have a good look on that site! I see what you mean, as a rugby girl your game seems manic and a fight to the death!! Rugby has lots of blood but I guess because I understand it it seems ok!

JI'm I am new to US football but very very willing to learn. I even need to know the players positions. Also to have so many people at the edge of the pitch seems odd to me!!
As I say, I am VERY willing to learn ( thanks Dave!!) I'm even going to upgrade our sky package if I enjoy it on my online deal!! I will say in a whisper that seeing our rugby guys come off the pitch with an ear hanging off and then your guys in armour having to have IV fluids, why do you wear the armour? Both games are brutal but as a nurse I am concerend with vessels breaking down from iv needles! I guess your guys are prettier from the helmets!!

Tazmiche
BTW off to bed now 2:55am. I will study tomo xx Michelle

COBettaCouple
the armor is to limit injuries, particularly life-threatening ones.. the players are so big & hitting so hard that even with the body armor, injuries are an every-game occurance.

why do you wear the armour? Both games are brutal but as a nurse I am concerend with vessels breaking down from iv needles! I guess your guys are prettier from the helmets!!

Jimold
the armor is to limit injuries, particularly life-threatening ones.. the players are so big & hitting so hard that even with the body armor, injuries are an every-game occurance.

I saw the game they played a couple weeks ago in London, and they were saying how much bigger... no HUGER, the american players were to the European soccer and rugby players. I don't think people realize that most NFL linemen top 300 lbs! These guys are monsters, and yes, even with padding can cause some devestating injuries. What's even scarier is to see some of them break their arm or something not to vital, and be back playing the next week, cast and all!

COBettaCouple
true, you get an idea how big they are when they dwarf the tv people talking to them. take that mass and have it running full speed into someone and BAM! you got a real slobber-knocker hit!

I saw the game they played a couple weeks ago in London, and they were saying how much bigger... no HUGER, the american players were to the European soccer and rugby players. I don't think people realize that most NFL linemen top 300 lbs! These guys are monsters, and yes, even with padding can cause some devestating injuries. What's even scarier is to see some of them break their arm or something not to vital, and be back playing the next week, cast and all!

Tazmiche
bloomin nora!! I have to get access to these games!

BUT as I say I need to know basic rules!!

Think NFL for dummies!!if any of you would like to give me basic rules THANK you.

Which player where, start of play, tackles,both good and bad. Bad play to look out for. I'll get jist watching as long as I know hat I am looking at!!

Jimold
OK, basically, you have 2 teams, and one ball. Each team is split in half: an offense and a defence. At the start of the game, an official will flip a coin to see who gets the ball first. Actually, the other team starts out with the ball, but the only thing they do is kick the ball to the team that won the toss; this is called a kickoff. The guy that catches the ball will run up the field as far as he can before the other team tackles him. This is important, only the team without the ball can tackle someone, and they can only tackle the guy with the ball. They can block each other to protect the guy with the ball, but only the guy holding the ball can get really clobbered...lol.
Now, the field is marked off into 1 yard lines (roughly a meter). Once the kickoff is over, the team with the ball will send their offense out onto the field. The other team will send their defence out. The team with the ball now has 4 plays to go 10 yards, which is not as easy as it sounds. If they don't make it, they have to give the ball to the other team. Usually they punt it to the other team and try to bury them as far back as they can up the field. If they get 10 yards, they get 4 more trys (down) to go 10 more yards. The object is basically to get all the way up the field and into the endzone, as it's called. The team with the ball can do this by running, or passing the ball. I remember you saying something about being surprised the team can throw forward up the field. Yes, this is legal, but only if the guy called the quarterback (with a couple rare exceptions) throws the ball, and a designated receiver catches it. However, ANY player from the other side can also catch it, and if they do, they automatically get the ball... so it's a risky thing sometimes.
Anyway, you get points for getting the ball into the endzone, and the team with the most at the end of an hour game time (about 3 ours realtime) wins.
OK, that's it in a nutshell... hepl me out guys, I know more people than just me watch.

Tazmiche
ty Jim, i'm halfway there with the understanding part!! when I watch more games it will come and then I will have many more questions. However guys I WANT to learn so be my buddies!! TY boys XX

COBettaCouple
- here's a basic rundown on american football from the website of a team playing in the british american football league so it has a perspective you can easily relate to.

- here's a good site with lots of information about the game.

gmen4life
since I coah maybe it will keep my out of the lfs boy its hard being a junkie I don't think I can kick the mts

reefdude
Go BILLS!!! We will make the playoffs this year!!! (with or without the baby)

Tony G.
GO NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH!!! WOOT WOOT!!

also

SUN DEVILS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reefdude
GO NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH!!! WOOT WOOT!!

also

SUN DEVILS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Irish will be very likely to get a new coach next season.... best enjoy this one Tony!!!

Tony G.
The Irish will be very likely to get a new coach next season.... best enjoy this one Tony!!!

I know they sucked in 2007! I think I brought them bad luck hahaha it was the year I began enjoying football and watched every irish game. the marching bands are cool too!

Borisbbadd
Go Utah............

Attachments

• FF_90989_xl.jpg
    FF_90989_xl.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 112
gmen4life
Go BILLS!!! We will make the playoffs this year!!! (with or without the baby)

only reason would be to

and could it be giants and the bills super bowl oh wait been there beat that haha

Shawnie

pats.jpg

Aquarist
How about that Michelle Kwan! She's decided not to skate and try for the gold in 2010
Skating season is approaching (been a skating fan since the early 1960's when Peggy Flemming won gold in 1968)
Ken

gmen4life
lol shawnie ewwwwwwww but no worries I'm a giants fan I rember a super bowl where tom brady ate a lot of grass

Tony G.

GO PATRIOTS!!!
I so remember the game when they beat the EAGLES!!! lol
How about that Michelle Kwan! She's decided not to skate and try for the gold in 2010
Skating season is approaching (been a skating fan since the early 1960's when Peggy Flemming won gold in 1968)
Ken

:;bb

Tony G.

Slug
I know they sucked in 2007! I think I brought them bad luck hahaha it was the year I began enjoying football and watched every irish game. the marching bands are cool too!

I love the bands too Tony, one of my favorite parts. I've seen some good ones over the years.

TO BAD I HAVE TO MISS THE SEASON THIS YEAR! I don't watch much NFL, but mainly just for certain players. Meaning this year i'm a Denver fan and a Cleavland fan. I am a HUGE Clemson University fan....go tigers! We're winning the ACC this year and getting a BCS bid, its our year. CJ Spiller for Heisman.

THIS is my paradise.

reefdude
Hey Shawnie, We have the first game of the season, Monday night football Bills at Pats!!!

navyscuba
I'm hoping the best for my Jags this year since last was SUPER BADDDDDDDD.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 91
gmen4life
lol bills have t o

Tony G.
I love the bands too Tony, one of my favorite parts. I've seen some good ones over the years.

TO BAD I HAVE TO MISS THE SEASON THIS YEAR! I don't watch much NFL, but mainly just for certain players. Meaning this year i'm a Denver fan and a Cleavland fan. I am a HUGE Clemson University fan....go tigers! We're winning the ACC this year and getting a BCS bid, its our year. CJ Spiller for Heisman.

THIS is my paradise.

lol that is so cool! my sister was in a marching band but since they don't have marching bands here in mexico she had to drop, but here are some pics of her marching band playing during the game

oh ps I don't know football language so you will have to explain the ACC and the BCS thingy

Attachments

• 212635189_kqMzV-M.jpg
    212635189_kqMzV-M.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 95
Slug
ACC is the conference Clemson plays in, and BCS is the bowl championship series....its like the post season of College Football.

I played on the Drumline for 4 years in highschool, and 3 years of regular band before that. I loved it. Its an adrenaline rush to get on the field and perform, as well as marching into the stadium on gameday/night, that was my favorite part.

Shawnie
Hey Shawnie, We have the first game of the season, Monday night football Bills at Pats!!!

1footballone.jpgarty0011:

LifeSAbeach
Is everyone ok? The real footy season is nearly over! In four weeks, the finals begin. Click on my signature below!?!

wooza
Great to hear you guys talking about sport. The REAL football season starts over here in just 4 days. I am an avid Derby County supporter if anybody knows of them.

LifeSAbeach
Some pics of my son Alex meeting some of our footy heroes before the finals last year!

Attachments

• Andrew McLeod.jpg
    Andrew McLeod.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 86
  • Jason Porplyzia.jpg
    Jason Porplyzia.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Tyson Edwards.jpg
    Tyson Edwards.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 63
gmen4life
man how did I know the soccer football debae would start ah anyway if a soccer player got hit by a linebacker I think people would have to scrape him back up!!!!!!!!sorry buddy just the way it is

LifeSAbeach
LoL. I agree, but how would a linebacker survive without all that padding and helmet?

gmen4life
I'm sure lol have you ever seen one in person?

LifeSAbeach
Some of our Aussie Rules blokes would test them out. Anyway, they only run in a straight line - you just have to sidestep them (just kidding)

Gouramiguy17
Texas longhorns!!! I only watch college football.

gmen4life
lol my buddy is a big soccer fan and we have this convo alos I'm used to it did you know a nfl running back takes the same force as being hit by a tractor trailer throughout a game?hehe

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SegiDream
Replies
Views
Akari_32
Replies
Views
Shadowcatprime
Replies
Views