foods to feed dwarf puffers

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

Hey guys, my friend will be going on a holiday for 3 weeks , so she passed over 2 of her juvenile dwarf puffers while she's away (about 1/2 an inch).
    So i've read up something about dwarf puffers and i know that they eat snails, i have mts in my tank(aloooot of them) and i took out alot of them and im keeping them in a jar so that i can feed the puffers, so what i noticed is that they dont eat the snail whole or try to bite the shell, they just kind of..attempt to suck the snail out of its shell o_O. or bite the head(then the snail stops moving lol) So i don't think i can manage feeding them snails everyday, so i also have some frozen blood worms, and frozen mysis shrimp

So i just wanna ask if just snails, blood worms and mysis shrimp would be enough for the dwarf puffers.
    I know some of you would recommend getting other types of worms but i've checked alot of shops since i've started this hobby, and so far the only worms i've found were frozen blood worms.

If snails,blood worms and mysis shrimp is not enough, I was thinking how about feeding them shrimp?. Like you know normal shrimp that we usually eat?. I thought i could defrost them and maybe cut the shrimp meat into tiny pieces for the puffer to eat. Would that work? Or how about squid? or maybe some fish meat(basically i mean seafood that humans eat)

and last question. How many times a day do i feed them and how much?

edit : okay. i just tried feeding them mysis shrimp. They didnt seem to bother at all =/. So now i only have blood worms and the mts

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

There was only 4-5 things i could ever get any of my puffers to eat . Snails , shrimp , muscles , and blood worms /brine shrimp. Twice a day feeding should be fine and only as much as they can eat in a few mins .

3. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

okay :). So is it okay for me to feed shrimp? (the normal shrimp we usually eat) or squid or other seafood?

Or maybe baby shrimp (my mum usually buys alot of baby shrimps since she likes to cook them with the vegetables

edit: How about feeding them ghost shrimps? I know a shop where they sell feeder ghost shrimps o_O well im not sure if its a ghost shrimp, but it looks like one, are white-ish and translucent. I could get like about 40 of the for rm1 ($0.30)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

im sure they can eat what ever they want . But getting them to eat it is the trick

5. JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Bloodworms are fine. Mine have exclisively dined on them for over 2.5 years. I do feed snails sometimes and I crush the snail and shake off most of the shell in other water.

6. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

i see. I just thought that maybe feedingng them bloodworms everyday is not enough for a stable and healthy diet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice