Food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by AnthonyHutchison, Jun 30, 2016.

1. AnthonyHutchison

AnthonyHutchisonValued MemberMember

So I have a new pleco, it is a rio-negro pleco and I was wondering what else it would eat besides algae wafers

2. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

aliray will be able to help you :)

3. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Congrats on your new pleco. In the current post Plecos!! Share Yours. I wrote a post on page 3 about halfway down on feeding BN plecos which is an ancistrus species as is yours and they both have the same omnivore diet needs. They should have real driftwood in their tank to rasp on to help with their digestion , Fresh veggies or fruit 24/7, Please read the post , lots of ideas and hints. My three BN plecos are my favorite of all my fish. Let me know if you have any more questions. Alison:;hi1

4. OP
    OP
    AnthonyHutchison

What do you mean fresh veggies? Like things such as cucumbers and such cause I know some fish like cucumber

5. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

Yup, that is exactly what she means. There are lots of veggies fish like. You just boil them a little to soften and put in the tank. People will get clips to have it in the water instead of floating or at the bottom. Then you remove like 10 h-12 hours later as you don't want it rotting in the water.

6. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Some veggies need to stay in my tank for 24 hours before my pleco will even give it a sniff. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to disintegrate or look fuzzy or slimy then remove it.

7. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

24 hours works for me. I left a zucchini slice in for 48 hours once and it got slimy, so I put it in in the evening and take it out the following evening.

8. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

If you will read the post it will tell you what I feed my plecos and how I feed and prepare them and a long list of different veggies and some fruits . There are a lot more beside cukes and zucchini. The more varitety with in reason , the better as they all contain different nutrients. Alison

9. OP
    OP
    AnthonyHutchison

I have a pack of veggies that include carrots cauliflower and broccoli is it ok to feed any of those

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice