Food

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by petaddiction, Aug 4, 2014.

1. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

What type of food should I feed my endler hybrids and guppies?
    As their main diet what do you recommend? And how much should I feed them?

Also what are some treats I should feed them every now and then?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

This is what I feed my fish ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407135508.685048.jpg
    I feed them baby brine shrimp occasionally.

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Tetra makes extremely poor quality foods... look at the ingredients. All fillers.

Any high quality flake or micropellet food will do just fine for livebearers. I happen to be feeding fluval flakes as a staple diet to all of my fish right now. Pete Mang also makes a great powdered food which I have for if/when I ever get fry in my tanks. The only fish I have that don't like these foods are ones that traditionally will only accept live food.

Bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia, (the frozen kind) make great treats for these fish. :)

4. Flowingfins

Thanks for letting me now junebug! Tomorrow I will be changing their food:)

5. junebug

n/p. I refuse to feed my animals that stuff.... soybean meal is not the same thing as fish food LOL.

The thing with most foods is to just read the ingredients. If the first ingredients are things like whole fish meal, or algae, or vegetable matter of some kind, you're giving your fish good nutrition. If you get live and frozen foods, such as daphnia or worms, or scuds, etc. etc. you will see a lot less waste in the aquarium. There is a noticable difference in my wild betta tanks' cleanliness when I put them on live foods for breeding - well the ones that don't require live food all the time, anyway. Hardly any waste occurs when they go off flakes and pellets.

6. Flowingfins

I will definitely switch to a diet that doesn't contain soybean and will supplement with frozen and live food. I know this is off topic but can my bettas eat the live and frozen stuff too?

7. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

I rate Tetra,s food products as highly as any other manufacturers foods.
    All foods for fish will have an inclusion of ingredients that are used as " carriers " for other ingredients, also they will be used for bulking out foods to reduce protein levels, and to balance nutrition.
    Some of these fish foods may include such ingredients as Brewers Dried Yeast , Soybean Meal , and Wheat Flour, in various amounts, and I am sure there are more that I cannot remember.

8. junebug

The first ingredient listed in tetra and similar quality foods is a filler. That means the food is mostly filler. There are much, much better quality foods out there containing whole fish meal and similar as the first ingredients which create far less waste in the aquarium.
    guppybreeder - yes, but you need to start your own thread, so this one doesn't get confusing.

9. Flowingfins

Alright thanks junebug!

10. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

Alright thanks guys. Is there a brand that you recommend, then?
    How much flake food should I feed them in a day? I don't want to over feed.
    edit: do you know anything about Omega One Super Color Tropical Fish Flakes?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  11. junebug

Omega one is good quality food. I don't find a need for the color enhancing foods, though. Look at the ingredient list and compare it to one of the ones that doesn't claim to enhance color. You can then decide if you want to spend the extra $$ on the color enhancing foods.

Like I said, I personally don't find them necessary. A fish getting good nutrition will display good coloration.

12. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Omega one if really good and New Life Spectrum. They are high quality foods that are really healthy for fish

13. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

I'm kind of confused because at petsmart online it says Omega is cheaper than Fluval. But omega has the color enhancing?

14. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I give my Rainbows Omega One Color Enhancing flakes every morning. They seem to love them (but the seem to love all food...they are pigs!)

15. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

c

16. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

This is what I'm currently feeding my guppies (which are being bred for my Jack Dempsey):

Omega One Large Cichlid Pellets (ground)
    eLive Cichlid Color Pellets (ground)
    Omega One Shrimp Pellets (ground)
    Omega One Super Color Tropical Flakes
    Fluval Tropical Flakes
    Omega One Micro Wafers
    Hikari First Bites
    Cobalt Algae Wafers

I keep it interesting lol New Life Spectrum is my food of choice, but with the volume of fish I have right now, I went slightly cheaper.

17. d

dgmirage Valued Member Member

my fish are very happy with omega one flake foods :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice