Food variety

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Do I really need to use a variety of food, I use cobalt aquatics tropical flakes and on the back it says it contains things like freeze dried krill and brine shrimp, flake food is meant to cover all the fish needs right? I also use algae wafers,

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    I usually add a little diversity but that is something I do. For example, my betta get pellets several times a week plus on the odd occasion, blood worms.
    My Oscar gets blood worms, salmon, any fish I have frozen that gets freezer burn plus New Life Spectrum Cichlid pellets or New Life Spectrum A+.
    My community tank pretty much only gets flakes and my mbuna are the same-just herivore or omnivore.
    I right now have on hand 10 or so different foods.
    This has much to do with having multiple tanks and in answer to your question, the pellets should be fine.

3. TKDennison Member Member

WELCOME!

I try and keep a variety going too.
    My staple is flake food, also use frozen blood worms, frozen mix called freshwater frenzy,
    freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried tubifex, Algae wafers (snails), and shrimp wafers (corys)

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

Like the others, I try to feed a varied diet as well.

My betta has her betta pellets and once or twice a week I like to give her a treat, which has been freeze dried bloodworms lately.

My Cory tank has bottom feeder tablets (a treat) and sinking pellets. They also get cucumber and lettuce as a treat but I don't think they've quite figured veggies out yet. Or they just don't like them. ;) They really enjoy their tablets though! They're smaller than a penny and they roll them around the tank until there's nothing left.

Finally! my "big tank" is given mostly tropical flake food and occasionally some sort of veggie like the Corys. I have been looking for other things to feed them though as I don't feel their diet is varied enough. Same with the Corys. I think I may try some of the "cubed" frozen treats.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. mopa Member Member

5 days a week I give mine flakes then 1 day I give frozen bloodworms and 1 day frozen brine shrimp. Each feeding I also drop in shrimp pellets for the cories but the fish love them too.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Variety is always good, even if it's just a treat once or twice a week

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member