Food Suggestions?

1. samantha.h Member Member

I'm getting a couple goldies soon, but I'm prepping for them now. I'm wondering what kind of food you guys feed yours? I'd rather feed pellets than flakes, does Hikari have good pellets?

2. KyWildFish Well Known Member Member

Go with something thats higher in fiber and low nutrient load. Wardly makes a good one thats balance and doesnt cloud or promote algae (if yor not overfeeding).

3. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I was recommended Hikari Lionhead.

They have a high protien content, which is good both for fish with wens, or just general young'uns that need to grow!

You won't find many commercial food that has high fibre, and you will need to supplement their diet with veggies.

The Hikari Lionhead is also a sinking pellet, so if you have fancy goldfish, you won't get issues with them gulping air.

4. samantha.h Member Member

Do they need to be soaked before they sink or can I just toss it in there as it comes? I've heard a lot of good things about the Lionhead one.

5. Elvishswimmer Member Member

The Lionhead sinks without soaking.

I still always soak my food though, because it does expand a bit and I don't want my fish to be eating too much and getting a compaction or something. :)

My fish also go crazy over the Lionhead... they really love it.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. (thanks for the tip Elvish!)

I discovered recently that my Goldies eat about anything I put into the tank. They munch on the snails zucchini from time to time. They also get a treat of frozen blood worms, left over from what I feed to my Betta (treat for the Goldies 1 or 2 times a week). I use a plastic syringe (from a test kit I had), suck them up and squirt them under water in the tank. They love it! I also give them shelled, thawed, fronzen peas once a week. Sliced and diced to the size they need. Too, flakes and pellets.

Ken

7. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Mine love frozen blood worms.