Food suggestions for Tiger Barbs

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by SentientMeat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. S

SentientMeat New Member Member

I have been feeding my 10 barbs NLS flakes for the most part (switching to pellets as directed by members here). Once a week I feed them blood worms. Then the day before fasting them (one day a week) I try to get some frozen peas/minced garlic in them.

My question is: With the amount of protein they are receiving (NLS is just about 50% protein) are there any good commercial foods for barbs that would introduce more nutrients into their diet? I have read articles online which state that in the wild, their stomachs are usually full of plant matter rather than worms, etc. Just seeing if there is a way to feed them better.

Thanks in advance...

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

NLS has fruit and veggies in it, and the label may be including vegetable proteins. It is about the best food you can get for nutrition; just add some nice fresh veggies a few times a week and you should be good.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for the reply. I've tried zucchini and cucumber but they seem to ignore it. I generally just boil it for 5 mins or so then let it cool. I've tried both letting it hang mid-tank via fishing line as well as having it fall to the bottom but they just occasionally pick at them. Usually end up letting my snail pig out on it.

Is there a better way to get them to eat their veggies? They are voracious feeders so it's not like their appetites are lacking.

4. OP
    OP
    S

I'm probably just over thinking it then, if there is enough of everything in the NLS...

5. Eienna

Your barbs may be happier with the veggies if you mince them small enough to swallow in one shot.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Don't know why I didn't think of that. I always just saw people drop them in as slices. I'll give it a try, thanks.

7. Eienna

If that does not appeal to them, I believe Omega One makes a veggie formula flake or pellet you might supplement with.

I don't want to leave you with the impression that NLS is the be-all-end-all. It is simply one of the best quality food lines on the market for overall nutrition, especially for omnivores. For herbivores, carnivores or ones that tend heavily to either side, you may well wish to supplement it with fresh or frozen food, or with another prepared item. Variety is good for any kind of fish, regardless. Now, as far as tiger barbs go, I imagine they end up with veggie matter as a result of picking their preferred food off the leaves without a whole lot of finesse, but that doesn't negate that it still becomes part of their diet. You might take a quick look at the NLS and Omega One lines and see what might work well for you. You could try emailing those companies and asking them which of their foods they might recommend as best for Tiger Barbs. On a side note, I notice that the Rosy Barbs I had (lost half in my tank disaster, and sold the other 3 because they were fighting at just 3) did wonderfully on a diet consisting of NLS Small Fish, NLS Lg Fish TheraA + Garlic, and occasional bloodworms. They were very bright and active.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice