Food suggestions for SRT

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Greener907, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

I have a SRT, any recommendations for live food? She's kind of a picky eater..a guy at the LFS gave me a sample of what they were feeding her.. Sera Arowana floating pellets..he says she likes the "stinkier" foods and is kinda skiddish at eating from the surface..but she eats the ones I put in there, eventually.

Not sure what I should buy for her when I run out of that, I want something that's going to keep her colors bold.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Live food should be avoided, it's a vector for introducing disease and parasites. I've been feeding southern delight to my flowerhorns and it's doing great things for their Red coloration. I tried Omega One red, but the pellets are too small for large fish.

4. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Ok well that's good to know. Do you also give veggie pellets? My LFS guy said to give veggie foods about 1/3-1/2 of the time but I'm not sure what to buy cause everything that says veggie is for a bottom feeder.

5. C

I do occasionally feed veggie pellets, not half the diet though. I ordered mine online. Omega One makes veggie and kelp pellets.

6. OP
    OP
    Greener907

What about the veggie flakes? She doesn't seem to be that eager at feeding to eat flakes though..

7. C

For a fish that size, flakes are pretty pointless. Also, flakes lose their nutrient value very quickly. The nutrients are leached out into the tank and lost rapidly. Pellets are far superior.

8. OP
    OP
    Greener907

She doesn't seem to be a very eager eater, have you found any food that they absolutely LOVE? It seems like the BP's get at the food before she even realizes it's up there lol

9. C

If she's hungry enough, she'll get to it. My fish know what the food containers look like and are already waiting before I've even got them open.

10. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Haha that's what my husband said..last night I was all concerned and wondering if she was getting enough to eat, and he pretty much said when she gets hungry enough, she'll be quicker..so i'm just letting it play out. Those BP's are little piggy's though!!

11. C

My BP's are ravenous monsters.

12. OP
    OP
    Greener907

It's insane how much they eat..and how quickly

13. OP
    OP
    Greener907

What should my feeding schedule look like for these fish? I want to make sure i'm giving them the well rounded diet they need. I also think I'm over feeding to make sure my SRT gets food, since ya know, the BP's are fat little monsters..but they still seem to get it first anyways. How often should I be feeding algae wafers?

14. C

I generally feed my adult fish once per day. Juveniles twice per day. You can try some sinking food that your RT might be able to get to a little faster. Does your RT get any food at all?

15. OP
    OP
    Greener907

She gets a couple pieces at least. She is getting better with coming to the surface to get food, it's just not as much as I wish she'd get but I feed them 2x a day so maybe because she gets a couple pieces twice its ok

16. C

Yeah, if your fish are getting at least a couple pellets a day, your fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice