Food stuck in Severums mouth, after removal is he stressed?

Lebeeze

I fed my fish this morning some bug bites like I have been feeding them for a long time, but I noticed one of my red spotted severums wouldn't close his mouth. I could see a piece of food stuck in the back of his "throat" or mouth. He looked like he was panicking so I netted him and tried to take the food out with tweezers but the tweezers were too thick and I couldnt reach the food without ripping the severums mouth open.

I moved the severum to my hospital tank and I now cant see the food in his mouth anymore but he is just staying near the bottom, constantly opening and closing his mouth and gills.

Is he stressed because I stuck the tweezers down his throat or is there something I can be doing to save him???

MacZ

I would have actually left it where it was and observed longer. The whole netting, the tweezer thing and moving has likely done more damage than good.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

I would have actually left it where it was and observed longer. The whole netting, the tweezer thing and moving has likely done more damage than good.
That's good to know for next time but doesnt really help me now

Upvote 0

MacZ

Put it back in its usual tank, let it rest. I thought it was obvious that this is the best thing to do, when catching it in the first place wasn't a good idea. It is definitely stressed.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't have the time to give a more detailed answer.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

Some food got stuck in my severums mouth a couple days ago. I tried to get it out with tweezers but I couldnt reach it.

So fast forward a couple days later, and the severum keeps shaking its head back and forth and his mouth is just wide open. I'll add pictures but there seems to be something inside his mouth. I'm kinda nervous to try and take it out because it might be something attached to him .

Can anyone tell what is inside his mouth. It looks nothing like the food I feed or any tankmates.

Attachments

• 20200904_190506.jpg
    20200904_190506.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200904_190305.jpg
    20200904_190305.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200904_190501.jpg
    20200904_190501.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

Lebeeze

A201 you have any idea??

Upvote 0

A201

That's really unusual. Is there a chance that when pulling the tweezers out of the Severum's mouth, you snagged interior mouth tissue?
I"ve read where keepers have fatally injured fish while trying to dislodge smaller fish or objects out of another fish's mouth.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

I'm not sure what's going on. He is trying to eat but cant get the food into his mouth.

Do you think I should try and take that out of his mouth?

Upvote 0

A201

Nothing to lose at this point. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

I cant seem to get it out. I dont want to pull too hard but I dont have tweezers small enough to grab it. Tried with a Bobby pin but that failed. The poor fish is getting so traumatized he is hiding inside a castle and wont come out.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

So I fed the tank and he ate a bunch of flakes, shook his head and puked out what was in his mouth lol . It was a dead fish. Pygmy cory. I'm not sure why he couldnt get it down his throat but hes doing better now .

Upvote 0

A201

You did a great job, loosened it up just enough to be expelled. Good to have a happy ending.

Upvote 0

TClare

Was reading this yesterday, so pleased it worked out OK!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PenguinTetra38
Replies
Views
lightofdawn
Replies
Views
Tabbles
Replies