Food questions about pygmy cories and ember tetras.

User1

I have a couple food questions about cories and ember tetras. (I am still on my first aquarium here so forgive the stupid questions)

1. What is the best base dried flake food for both species of fish?
2. Which of the different repashy formulas should I choose? Again for both fish.
3. How often would I feed frozen bloodworms?
4. Can't really find confirmation online for this, can brine shrimp breed in freshwater?
5. Will the pygmy cories eat brine shrimp/cyclops? Will they only eat live worms?
6. Would hooking up an automatic feeder with some sinking pellets be a good way to achieve the "feed 3-4 times a day" people recommend?

Thanks for the help!

ForBettaorForWorse

I can partially answer question one; My ember tetras eat the normal Tetra fin flakes, just make sure that the flakes are ground up a bit before feeding them to the fish. I'm not sure about the cories though.

User1

I can partially answer question one; My ember tetras eat the normal Tetra fin flakes, just make sure that the flakes are ground up a bit before feeding them to the fish. I'm not sure about the cories though.
They're the ones I have at the moment, but I do know there are some better more expensive brands. Thanks though

JustAFishServant

I have a couple food questions about cories and ember tetras. (I am still on my first aquarium here so forgive the stupid questions)

1. What is the best base dried flake food for both species of fish?
2. Which of the different repashy formulas should I choose? Again for both fish.
3. How often would I feed frozen bloodworms?
4. Can't really find confirmation online for this, can brine shrimp breed in freshwater?
5. Will the pygmy cories eat brine shrimp/cyclops? Will they only eat live worms?
6. Would hooking up an automatic feeder with some sinking pellets be a good way to achieve the "feed 3-4 times a day" people recommend?

Thanks for the help!
First off, there is no "best" flake formula but I really like Ocean Nutrition brine shrimp flakes. Fin-tastic ingredients and not too expensive. As for repashy the soilent green and insect formulas are good, just double check the prep and ingredients. Embers and pygmy cories eat about the same thing. It doesn't matter what you feed as long as it's good.

Frozen bloodworm is your choice. Some feed once, twice, even three times weekly. Remember though, bloodworms are unhealthy and basically the potato chip of the fish world. Too many causes digestive issues and obesity. For this reason I suggest twice weekly, half a block each feeding.

As for brine shrimp, hint's in their name. "Brine." They're known by this name because they live in very salty water. I saw them thriving in Salt Lake. They can't live or reproduce in freshwater.

Pygmy cories eat anything, especially captive-bred. Live worms are appreciated but not required. Flake, pellet, gel, live and frozen is fine, brine and cyclops included. Same with embers.

You don't have to feed 3-4× in small amounts a day, it's just what some people suggest. I feed my betta girl, 10 chili rasboras and pygmy cories twice daily. 8 pellets in the morning and 6 at night for my betta girl, Val, and sinking foods for the rest. I've done it this way for years, including with an ancient 8-year-old betta girl who passed years ago (S.I.P.)

Hope this helps, friend ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
JaksAquatics
Replies