Food For Puffer

CrisisQuaid

Hey guys! I am getting a ValentinI Puffer for my tank soon, and I know you have to feed them crunchy food to wear down their teeth. After a lot of research I still don’t know what to get. I was wondering if freeze dried krill would work as the main food for him, with a couple special snacks every once in a while. What do y’all think? Would krill wear down his teeth?

penguin02

I don't know about krill, but I know you can feed them clams to wear down their teeth.

KinsKicks

Hello!

Freeze dried krill is much too soft to wear down any teeth and you need a varied diet anywho. Small Clams on the halfshell are a good way to help wear down teeth and are nutritious. Krill is good, but I recommend frozen as they’re more appealing (and the shell is a bit harder, but not be much). Other foods include squid, silversides, brine shrimp, mysis, and regular prawn/shrimp.

A trick I like to use is to smear the softer foods (like the squid, silversides, prawn/shrimp) into the surface of your LR; in their attempts to pick at it, they’ll scrape their teeth against the rock to help keep them down as well (it also make them work for their food lol)

CrisisQuaid

Hello!

Freeze dried krill is much too soft to wear down any teeth and you need a varied diet anywho. Small Clams on the halfshell are a good way to help wear down teeth and are nutritious. Krill is good, but I recommend frozen as they’re more appealing (and the shell is a bit harder, but not be much). Other foods include squid, silversides, brine shrimp, mysis, and regular prawn/shrimp.

A trick I like to use is to smear the softer foods (like the squid, silversides, prawn/shrimp) into the surface of your LR; in their attempts to pick at it, they’ll scrape their teeth against the rock to help keep them down as well (it also make them work for their food lol)
Would shell on shrimp work for teeth wearing? If I go with clams, where would I get them from?

KinsKicks

Would shell on shrimp work for teeth wearing? If I go with clams, where would I get them from?
It works a little bit, but not too much. Hard shells on shrimp is akin to like a fine grit nail file; it doesn’t do a lot, but it can shave it down just a smidge for regular maintenance. Harder substances like clam shells are more like your nail clippers or sandpaper; they do a lot more sanding.

As for clams, you can use your nearby fishmonger/seafood store (I use my Asian store, but depending on where you live and how much you trust the seafood, you may not want to go local) but you’d have to open them yourself. online places like MarineDepot and BulkReefSupply have them already on the half shell for you.

CrisisQuaid

It works a little bit, but not too much. Hard shells on shrimp is akin to like a fine grit nail file; it doesn’t do a lot, but it can shave it down just a smidge for regular maintenance. Harder substances like clam shells are more like your nail clippers or sandpaper; they do a lot more sanding.

As for clams, you can use your nearby fishmonger/seafood store (I use my Asian store, but depending on where you live and how much you trust the seafood, you may not want to go local) but you’d have to open them yourself. online places like MarineDepot and BulkReefSupply have them already on the half shell for you.
So I open the clams and give him half a clam with the meat inside? Afterward would I have to take the shells out or does he destroy them?

KinsKicks

So I open the clams and give him half a clam with the meat inside? Afterward would I have to take the shells out or does he destroy them?
You can just toss the half with the meat into the tank and let him go after it as they normally would. They don’t have very good accuracy and often bite the shell to get the food. If you get the whole clam, you can smash to break it up and toss the entire thing in for him to pick throguh. This could be a bit messier and a bit dangerous (shards may go flying or you hit your finger!), so exercise caution haha

Once he’s gotten his fill, you can clean up the shell bits right away, or wait until your normally weekly cleanings; up to you.

CrisisQuaid

This seems to be the only pack of clams online, I can’t tell how many are in it though? How often would I feed the puffer a clam to wear his teeth?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies
Views
ystrout

Did You Know...

Back to back posts (made by yourself) in the same thread within 4 hours get merged automatically.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom