Food for Panda Corys

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
My tank is all cycled and all plants and decorations have been added. I plan to order 6 panda corys and receive them some time next week.

Can you please provide suggestions for what to order for them in terms of food?

Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shrimppellets and a wide variaty of food.
But I have a different advise and that's to wait buying Pandas till the substrate is "ripened" a bit. Corys often have issues on brand new substrate, probably caused by the unbalance in microlife in the bottom.

Also : Check the fish on their health. Pandas are kind of overbred nowadays causing a lot of healthissues nowadays.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
Derek88242 said:
I have kept corries for 3 years now and they will eat anything. However I do have some recommendations for my top food to feed them.
1- hikari freeze dried tubifex worms
2-nutrafin bug bites pleco formula
3-hikari sinking wafers
4-any quality algae wafer
5- hikari vibra bites
Thanks! What is your feeding schedule? I just wonder how often I give them food? I'm getting 6 of them.
Do you feed one items at a time and switch off each time?

DoubleDutch said:
shrimppellets and a wide variaty of food.
But I have a different advise and that's to wait buying Pandas till the substrate is "ripened" a bit. Corys often have issues on brand new substrate, probably caused by the unbalance in microlife in the bottom.

Also : Check the fish on their health. Pandas are kind of overbred nowadays causing a lot of healthissues nowadays.
My tank has been running since June and fully cycled 3 weeks ago. Since cycling, I added plants. Still need to wait on the corys?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed my cory whatever i happen to toss in the tank. Usually they get left overs because whether it is the top or the bottom there are more aggressive eaters. I'm lazy so they get a lot of hiraki loach pellets, omega-one shrimp pellets, occasionaly wardern shrimp pellet, flakes that get trapped in the plants and lots of bug bites (or biting bugs) that get caught up in the plants. The young ones are smart and know to go to the top to look for trapped food (the top being way up there in a tall tank). The old ones well they are able to compete with the loaches i guess.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
jake37 said:
I feed my cory whatever i happen to toss in the tank. Usually they get left overs because whether it is the top or the bottom there are more aggressive eaters. I'm lazy so they get a lot of hiraki loach pellets, omega-one shrimp pellets, occasionaly wardern shrimp pellet, flakes that get trapped in the plants and lots of bug bites (or biting bugs) that get caught up in the plants. The young ones are smart and know to go to the top to look for trapped food (the top being way up there in a tall tank). The old ones well they are able to compete with the loaches i guess.
Right now I will only have corys in the tank.
I was thinking of just starting with shrimp pellets, hikari tropical sinking wafers and hikari freeze dried tubifex worms. Do I feed all of these at once or on one day feed one type of food, another day feed the second item, and the next day feed the third item?

Since its going to be just them for now, feed them once a day?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just feed a little the worse you can do to a tank is over feed. Also remember cory do like some plant based food or pellets that are not 100% meat. For panda i'd say 2 to 3 pellets twice a day. Keep an eye if they dont' eat it all in an hour or so then you are over feeding. The thing about these pellets (hiraki and omega=one shrimp) is they are hard and take a long time for a fish like panda to break them down. They aren' t like my loaches that can just bite them in 1/2.

NewAtFishKeeping said:
Right now I will only have corys in the tank.
I was thinking of just starting with shrimp pellets, hikari tropical sinking wafers and hikari freeze dried tubifex worms. Do I feed all of these at once or on one day feed one type of food, another day feed the second item, and the next day feed the third item?

Since its going to be just them for now, feed them once a day?

Derek88242

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NewAtFishKeeping said:
Thanks! What is your feeding schedule? I just wonder how often I give them food? I'm getting 6 of them.
Do you feed one items at a time and switch off each time?
I would feed at least once per day, preferably 2-3 times a day.I feed a different food each time.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
jake37 said:
Just feed a little the worse you can do to a tank is over feed. Also remember cory do like some plant based food or pellets that are not 100% meat. For panda i'd say 2 to 3 pellets twice a day. Keep an eye if they dont' eat it all in an hour or so then you are over feeding. The thing about these pellets (hiraki and omega=one shrimp) is they are hard and take a long time for a fish like panda to break them down. They aren' t like my loaches that can just bite them in 1/2.
Aha, so would you say just get shrimp pellets and algae wafers (I have to check if those are mostly plant based) for now?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hiraki sinking pellets for one; also some of the rasphery foods; some flakes; nls pellets. Just be aware that shrimp pellets (well omega-one) have almost zero plant matter which isn't a bad thing just be aware. NLS pellets are pretty decent food (nls is new life spectrum)

NewAtFishKeeping said:
Thanks!
What do you usually feed that isn't all meat based?

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
jake37 said:
Hiraki sinking pellets for one; also some of the rasphery foods; some flakes; nls pellets. Just be aware that shrimp pellets (well omega-one) have almost zero plant matter which isn't a bad thing just be aware. NLS pellets are pretty decent food (nls is new life spectrum)
So I went to my local Petco today and picked up Hikari sinking pellets and Omega shrip pellets. The third thing I was going to get was flakes but I was unsure as to which flakes to purchase. What types of flakes should I buy?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't buy flakes for cory. I feed my angels flakes because they prefer it to pellets (yea yea i have weird angels) so the cory get those left over.

NewAtFishKeeping said:
So I went to my local Petco today and picked up Hikari sinking pellets and Omega shrip pellets. The third thing I was going to get was flakes but I was unsure as to which flakes to purchase. What types of flakes should I buy?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NewAtFishKeeping said:
Variation is always good. I use flakes now and then to variate. Doesn't really matter what as long as it isn't used as staplefood

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

Reaction score
jake37 said:
I wouldn't buy flakes for cory. I feed my angels flakes because they prefer it to pellets (yea yea i have weird angels) so the cory get those left over.
Thanks!

DoubleDutch said:
Variation is always good. I use flakes now and then to variate. Doesn't really matter what as long as it isn't used as staplefood
Thank you!

New Threads