and only once in a week or something.
I have read they can eat some
vegetables. which ones? ???

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cucumbers, zucchini, and blanched peas are what I feed mine. Tried lettuce, but there was very little interest in it.

OP
Sea Of Fish

Sea Of Fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LetDiceFly said:
Cucumbers, zucchini, and blanched peas are what I feed mine. Tried lettuce, but there was very little interest in it.
so can all eat it? how small should I make the zucchini, cucumber, do I need to cut the peas?

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually a slice of cucumber or zucchinI is put in a veggie clip and left in the tank for half a day or so while they peck at it. Peas have to be blanched and skinned and then broken into bite size pieces.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

As for your Silver Dollars, they will love fresh Romaine Lettuce. I have 8 in my 265g tank and they get 2 leaves every morning. It usually takes less than an hour for them to eat all the way to the rib of the leaf.

Too, they love the green skin from raw zucchini.

Something to consider in the not too distant future is a larger home for your Silver Dollars. These fish really need the room to swim. Each of mine are 6" to 7" long and about 4" to 5" tall. They will outgrow your 90L (23g's) tank. If a fish is kept in a home that is too small, their growth can become stunted and shorten the life span of the fish. My personal preference is to see this fish in at least a 4' tank but a 6' tank would be even better.

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-SilverDollar.htm

More information in the links above.

Ken

OP
Sea Of Fish

Sea Of Fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes, thank you...I know that's why I am going to change there tank soon, right now they are quite small (1 -1.5 inches)

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good! That makes me feel better that you do have plans to upgrade their tank size! That's wonderful!

Silver Dollars are such neat fish. They stick to themselves and bother no one. Keep a lid on your aquarium as this fish frighten easily and will take flight if frightened enough.

The reason I suggest Romaine Lettuce over other lettuces is due to the nutritional value. Ice Berg lettuce has practically no nutritional value at all. Romaine is much better. Tips on keeping Romaine Lettuce fresh:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/keeping-romaine-lettuce-fresh.69731/

Ken

Moneypenny1967

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Frozen peas are the easiest to us.You don't need to cook them..Just remove the outer shell.I thread mine onto a toothpick and put a lead strip at one end to weight it down.I leave it there overnight or all day and then take it out again.My fish seem to prefer zucchinI to cucumber.(I use microwave to cook it)

mistersprinkles

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Moneypenny1967 said:
Frozen peas are the easiest to us.You don't need to cook them..Just remove the outer shell.I thread mine onto a toothpick and put a lead strip at one end to weight it down.I leave it there overnight or all day and then take it out again.My fish seem to prefer zucchinI to cucumber.(I use microwave to cook it)
DO NOT microwave your fish's food. Microwaves destroy vitamins. It's a proven fact.
Another thing you can feed your fish that is very nutritious is "Noori" or seaweed sheets. These are the sheets that they use for rolling sushi. You can buy them from a pet store or at a quality supermarket. Weigh a piece down and leave it in the tank for a few hours. Vegetarian fish really like it.

New Threads