Food For Guppy Fries

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SPC, Apr 22, 2018.

1. SPC

SPCNew MemberMember

Can my baby guppies be given the normal corn flakes we eat ( mushed into fine powder ) ?
    Need ideas for homemade food asap

Attached Files:

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

no dont do that.
    What food do you have?
    In a pinch you can take regular tropical flake and powder it.

Do they still have their egg sac? If they still have an egg sac they dont need food yet. Ive been in the oh no i have fry stage so i know the ill placed panic. Good fry food is powdered lood worms mixed with flake or some live brine shrimp. With my cichlids they go nuts for the brine shrimp.

Another thing that works is those weekend feeders believe it or not.

3. OP
    OP
    SPC

SPCNew MemberMember

Iam planning to feed them some peas..
    they are baby guppies (livebearers)

4. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

You can just grind up your regular flake food into a powder for them they don't require anything special. Don't do corn flakes though. If you want to do homemade you can hard boil an egg and give a tiny bit of thrones yolk into the water for them also. Or you can find some frozen rotifer or daphnia and thaw it in a bit of tank water and pour a small amount in... It really takes a very small amount to feed fry and I'd they are in an established tank you don't need to add anything special for them they will find enough infusioria around the tank until they are old enough to eat the foods you are feeding everyone else.

5. RAM3234New MemberMember

6. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Hakari First Bites are the best livebearers fry food i’ve found.

But thinly grounded up flakes work too.

I have sponge filters in all of my fry rearing tanks. They love eating off of the sponges.

7. Phish24/7New MemberMember

You can crumble up some yolk of a hard-boiled egg and that would probably be better than your average flake food

But once they get a bit bigger daphnia and brine shrimp

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    SPC

SPCNew MemberMember

Is it normal for the some guppy fries to only stay at the bottom while some swim at the top of the tank
    ?

9. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Absolutely. :) some hide in the substrate while others will look to hide in floating plants and behind things at the surface.

10. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Cook an egg hard boil. When done cool, then take out yolk and break into small tiny pieces. Feed fish. Also grind up flake food into pulverized prices feed fish. Do one then the other to provide variety. Best of wishes to you and you fishes

11. OP
    OP
    SPC

SPCNew MemberMember

Thank you :)
    I was actually gonna do the exact thing you just told ...( found out abt the egg yolks in some youtube vids )

12. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Lol me too while in my searches a while ago. They love it too. Best of wishes to you and your fishes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice