Food for betta

kinsey12345

Hi! So i’ve been posting a lot of questions recently since my work got a rescue betta (renamed Walter). He had been kept in a small half gallon bowl for almost a year and is now in a 5 gallon tank where Im doing a a fish-in cycle currently (1 week in). I have multiple live plants in there and an Indian Almond leaf floating around (not sure if that’s relevant or not). However, I was wondering about a good recommended diet for him? we have the original pet store food pellets that he came with and we’ve mostly been feeding him this for now. I bought some frozen bloodworms (not freeze dried) and he’s been fed those once in the 5 days we’ve had him, but i was reading somewhere that you can’t feed those to him everyday. I also read that mosquito larva or shrimp larva can be good? I was wondering if anyone could advise me on a solid feeding schedule and rotation of foods for him! Thank you!!

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
Bettas have a tendency to get bloat, IME, so I always stress not to feed them too much. I personally like pelleted foods for them, since it's a little bit easier to measure exactly how much you're giving them (where with flakes, they're always different sizes).

I usually do 3-4 small pellets once a day, 5 days a week. On day 6, I feed some frozen bloodworms, and on day 7, I don't feed them at all. You can definitely vary their diet more than this (soldier fly larvae are good, and so are mosquito larvae) but the staple food really should be a prepared pellet and some bloodworms, IMO.

BigManAquatics

Fishlore Legend
I typically feed my bettas-and all my other fish-frozen food 2 times a week, then pellets or flakes the rest of the week.

OP
kinsey12345

kinsey12345

What brand of pellets do you feed? I think Walter prefers the floating pellets because that’s all he’s ever had.
Bettas have a tendency to get bloat, IME, so I always stress not to feed them too much. I personally like pelleted foods for them, since it's a little bit easier to measure exactly how much you're giving them (where with flakes, they're always different sizes).

I usually do 3-4 small pellets once a day, 5 days a week. On day 6, I feed some frozen bloodworms, and on day 7, I don't feed them at all. You can definitely vary their diet more than this (soldier fly larvae are good, and so are mosquito larvae) but the staple food really should be a prepared pellet and some bloodworms, IMO.
What brand of pellets do you feed?

betta06

Well Known
here is what I do for my bettas.
Monday. fluval bug bites.
Tuesday. bloodworms.
wedges day. nurrafin max flakes.
thursday. nothing.
frieday. brine shrimp.
Saturday. fluval bug bites.
sunday. nothing.

I would prefer to do some more pellet varieties as nutrafin is not the best brand but this is what I do right now!
also the reason I fast two times a week if they have live Daphne in their tanks so important to make sure they don't eat to much. also you could probable feed bloodworms 2-3 times a week at most.

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
What brand of pellets do you feed? I think Walter prefers the floating pellets because that’s all he’s ever had.

What brand of pellets do you feed?
I'm a big fan of Omega One, but it honestly doesn't matter much if the fish eat it well. No big brand of fish food is so bad that it'll hurt your fish - at least in the modern day.

BigManAquatics

Fishlore Legend
I have Omega One, Bug Bites and Xtreme Betta pellets currently. And bug bites flakes.

StarGirl

Fishlore Legend
I have Bug bite betta flakes, Bio gold micro pellets and frozen foods. I also feed Regular fish bug bites too.

sleeplessrat

I normally just feed a mix of blood worms and brine shrimp- blood worms are her favorite and i give her it once every week and the other two days of said week i just feed her some brine shrimp- bettas love variety in food [every fish is different though and some fish might be picky] but even though they like eating alot they tend to bloat easily- what to do to combat this is lower the amount of food you give them till bloating lowers :-] try and get some more things in their diet like brine shrimp pellets and various other things:-]

sairving

Well Known
I feed mine:

Fluval bug bites
Northerfin betta bits (small pellets)
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Frozen Bloodworms

I recently switched from hikari freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp to frozen. You could also try daphnia.

sleeplessrat

:-□ do you know where i can find the northern betta bits?

AIvinn

Well Known
I've read some good things about Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets which I feed my betta and he loves it.

Papasmerf73

I use betta pellets from xtreme 3-4 times a week and mix in frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and tubifex worms. I also give him Fluval Spirulina flakes and Hikari Micro pellets. He'll eat anything though TBH.

AIvinn

Well Known
I found Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets at Petco btw. You'd be surprised at the amount of fish food they have.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fae

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

The aquarium hobby comes with it's own set of acronyms, terms and other lingo. Here is a list of those with explanations of what they mean:
Aquarium Abbreviations and Acronyms

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom