Food Fight

Tigginjenn
My male GBR shows no sign of chivalry He's such a bully. He wants the peas all for himself. Just rude.Hasn't he ever heard of ladies first. He chases both of them off every time they come close. Geesh
1521488063083.jpeg

Junne

yetti and kuhli's 10-10-16.jpg

My male Golden Albino Loach is the same way! He is blind but he can smell food a mile away and knocks everyone in his path away! Once he's had a few mouthfuls of food, he sits in a corner and huffs and puffs and then gets more.
And that is why he is 10 inches long and as big as a cucumber!

Rojer Ramjet
Looks like the gals got bit squarely in the caudal fin by gender equality... lolz

Tigginjenn
Holy cow. Look at him. I wanted clown loaches, but my tank is only 54 gal, so....I'm new to the rams. Just got my girls a couple day ago, and I had never fed any of my fish peas before. It was kind of entertaining to watch. I tossed a few more, (cut up), on the other side of the tank, so the girls could get some. Lol

Looks like the gals got bit squarely in the caudal fin by gender equality... lolz
Lol

GlamCrab
My baby apistos act the same way towards each other. Its funny to see a brave one sneak around to steal food from the dominant sibling

Tigginjenn
My baby apistos act the same way towards each other. Its funny to see a brave one sneak around to steal food from the dominant sibling
Lol. The girls were sort of doing that. While he was busy chasing one away, the other would go steal a piece, and then he'd go after her, and the other would move in for the pea heist.

kjbord
Don't feel bad I have 2 Dojo loach that are HOGS they barely leave any for the 3 KuhlI loachs..

Niaa
I have a neon tetra who will grab a giant piece of food and then hide behind the heater and eat it, away from the other fish.

Junne
I have a neon tetra who will grab a giant piece of food and then hide behind the heater and eat it, away from the other fish.

Sounds like ME!

LucieGuppy13
I have a 10g betta tank right now and I want to get some neon tetras in the near future but he is very quick to get food (even likes to steal algae wafers from the shrimp) so I'm worried they would never get any food. Anyone have experience with this combo and how it worked? I don't want to overfeed, but I also don't want to be separating my betta from them every day for feeding. Advice needed!

aquaticamanda
Neon tetras and Bettas water parameters are not compatible together anyways

LucieGuppy13
Neon tetras and Bettas water parameters are not compatible together anyways
Really? I'm shocked, I heard they made good tankmates.

smee82
Really? I'm shocked, I heard they made good tankmates.

Im guessing by a pet shop employee. Bettas dont mix well with nippy fish like tetras even without considering water parameters

LucieGuppy13
Im guessing by a pet shop employee. Bettas dont mix well with nippy fish like tetras even without considering water parameters
I really did not expect this response. Everywhere I've looked, it says that neons are super peaceful and make good tankmates for bettas. Not to mention that their parameters have huge overlap so it would be easy to accommodate them both. Has anyone actually tried this combo and did it work? What different tankmates would you recommend?

FinalFins
Temperature overylays-

Bettas really prefer 80F~ and neons like it 76F~

Besides they are known to be nippy so I would personally do something like ember tetras or boraras.

LucieGuppy13
Temperature overylays-

Bettas really prefer 80F~ and neons like it 76F~

Besides they are known to be nippy so I would personally do something like ember tetras or boraras.
Ok, thanks everyone for the advice, I'm glad I checked before I went ahead with it. Just got excited when they were on the top 10 tankmates for bettas video on KGtropical. Probably won't be getting them after this response.

Debbie1986
I've never seen nippy behavior from neon tetras, skirt tetras yes.

JMO - I would just avoid skirt tetras as they are vicious fin nippers. My 1 white skirt is nicknamed Jack the Ripper with at least 2 confirmed kills last year. he has since settled down.

my community tank 38 long has 3 kinds of neons (neon, black neon, skirt/glofish tetra) & 3 female bettas (tank heater is set to 78 by mfg)

I had neon tetras with male betta in a 10 gallon last year ( as I moved into regular fish vs just bettas) and they did fine. As long as you have the numbers (6+ neons) to avoid targeted harrasment & the male temperament is more docile, you'd be fine.

LucieGuppy13
I've never seen nippy behavior from neon tetras, skirt tetras yes.

JMO - I would just avoid skirt tetras as they are vicious fin nippers. My 1 white skirt is nicknamed Jack the Ripper with at least 2 confirmed kills last year. he has since settled down.

my community tank 38 long has 3 kinds of neons (neon, black neon, skirt/glofish tetra) & 3 female bettas (tank heater is set to 78 by mfg)

I had neon tetras with male betta in a 10 gallon last year ( as I moved into regular fish vs just bettas) and they did fine. As long as you have the numbers (6+ neons) to avoid targeted harrasment & the male temperament is more docile, you'd be fine.
Thanks for this! I don't know if my guy could be considered docile, but I'll keep thinking about it as I look into plants and such.

JB92668
bettas and neons are not a good mix the betta will fair poorly and the tetras may get attacked by the betta there water conditions are way to diffrent and neons are very prone to calamanaris

NYCfishman
i was reading for another topic but funny to read about the white skirts being rippers. in my tank (semi-aggressive) they are by far the most peaceful...other than our clown pleco who lives his own life....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BamBamSorg
Replies
Views
Koldaar
Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views