Food Competition Question

1. dartzy Member Member

I recently added 3 ghost shrimp (1 MIA) to my 20h that is 4m cycled and houses 9 tetra (5 glo, 4 white skirts). I have very little algae in my tank so I have been feeding the shrimp 1/2 algae tab every other day. When I feed the tab my tetras try to steal it from the shrimp. Any suggestions on how to best feed the tabs so the shrimp actually get them?

2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Drop the tab when the lights are out or put some zucchini in there and that will be for the shrimp.

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Lol...it happens a lot. One of the easiest ways I've found is to get some sort of decoration (or a small PVC pipe) just large enough (1-1.5 inch pipe is good enough if you choose that route) for your shrimp to fit through but not your tetras; this is a bit easier to accomplish as your tetras are "wider"/taller. Just drop food in the deco/pipe and you've got a safe feeding ground + trained shrimp.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Shrimp will also eat microorganisms growing in the tank, as well as leftover food. 1/2 a tab every day sounds like you're overfeeding them, honestly.