Food/care For Ghost Shrimp

Rainbows and Fishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you give us some details on their current set-up? Are you looking to breed them or just care for them?

In general they are really easy to care for as long as they are placed with peaceful tank mates and they aren't housed with other shrimp. They like a Ph of 7-8 a temp of around 72-80 degrees F. They are sensitive to copper and Nitrite/Ammonia like all shrimp liking stable conditions. For food they basically will eat the algae, biofilm and waste food. They also appreciate lots of places to hide.

Last edited by a moderator:

PoorBigBlue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed with above.

Realistically, ghost shrimp are pretty easy to take care of. Not much different from fish. You can't use any medications with copper in them, just a heads up!

They'll scavenge along the bottom for uneaten food and will probably grab food as it falls through the water column. As long as you don't have any fish that will hunt them, and your aquarium is in the right parameters for them, you should be fine.

That said, it's also worth noting that ghost shrimp don't often live for very long. They've been bred so much and in such bad conditions as feeders that their lifespans are shortened and they often die for unknown reasons. If you end up losing them, don't be too hard on yourself.

Monee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I think I have really good set up for them then.

Amynnas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm glad i found these threads on the ghost shrimp. I had bought five ghost shrimp from petsmart about three days ago and when I got home from work yesterday I found them all dead. They are with a few neon tetras and white cloud mountain minnows and I haven't seen the fish bothering them. I thought maybe it was something I did wrong but couldn't figure it out cause I checked the water and it was am 0 ni 0 and no2 10.I did an immediate water change cause it was the two berried females that I found dead and i thought it was the water but then tested afterwards to find it was fine. I have one left at least last time I checked. I didn't want to try more expensive shrimp until I could see if I could get these to survive. I have had the worst luck with keeping the petsmart fish and shrimp alive.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm glad i found these threads on the ghost shrimp. I had bought five ghost shrimp from petsmart about three days ago and when I got home from work yesterday I found them all dead. They are with a few neon tetras and white cloud mountain minnows and I haven't seen the fish bothering them. I thought maybe it was something I did wrong but couldn't figure it out cause I checked the water and it was am 0 ni 0 and no2 10.I did an immediate water change cause it was the two berried females that I found dead and i thought it was the water but then tested afterwards to find it was fine. I have one left at least last time I checked. I didn't want to try more expensive shrimp until I could see if I could get these to survive. I have had the worst luck with keeping the petsmart fish and shrimp alive.
Ghost shrimp are generally sold as feeder shrimp and aren't always very healthy, so you might have just had bad luck.

Amynnas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was a bad batch, they all died. I got the dwarf colored shrimp from the fish breeder i buy from and they are doing wonderful. Not a single death yet, knock on wood cause my 29 gallon tank is not doing so well right now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom