Food and Additives

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of food is best for Bettas? I know they like bloodworms and such. I'm thinking of upgrading his food since I don't know how old this food is. Do you recommend Atison's Betta Food or Atison's Betta Pro?

Also, is Atison's Betta SPA a good water conditioner to use? Or is it not needed?

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yes- atisons is what i feed my betta. and bloodworms are good too. Miley

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you feed him now? You can feed him bloodworms, baby brine shrimp( freezedried are better because you don't have the risk of diseases carried by them) ( that's the same with the bloodworms) you can feed him Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Fish Food, those are little pellets small enough to fit in their mouths. The atisons are good to I heard for them. Natalie

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm giving him some Bloodworms and regular Betta food, but I've had both for about 2 to 4 years now so I figure it's outdated. I'm also giving him some Ocean Nutrition regular flakes that I'm feeding my Neons, since I know that's fresh....only opened about a week or so ago.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Atison's Betta Pro is for very young bettas (under 6 months) Atison's regular formula is for all the others

The Betta Spa is a good product that contains Almond leaf extract but a few bettas (mine did) freak out when their water turns brown. It will help their immune system though, if you can get them to use it. I would not use it as strong as it recommends. I used 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons.

Rose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Aww man, I didn't know that about the Betta Pro and already ordered it. I tried to call and have my order changed but it's too late, she couldn't get into my order to change it. Maybe I can return it. I wish they would have labeled it "for fish up to 6 months". As if you can go out and buy Bettas that young. Who on Earth has a Betta that age other than a breeder? ???

I've having such a time with these fish!

P.S. Rose, what a beautifully colored Betta. How did you get such a good picture of him? I'd like to send a picture of my Betta but can't get any to turn out good.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually most of the bettas can eat it. It is just smaller pellets so you have to feed twice as many. My older bettas eat it too but they need twice as much. Instead of 3 to 5 pellets feed 6 to 8 pellets to an adult betta. (twice a day) Most bettas sold in stores are actually under 6 mos old I think. It seems they have been selling them younger now.

Rose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, that sounds great! Saves me a lot of time and hassle reshipping it and waiting to get more. Thanks so much!

Oh, one more question. When I get my 5 gallon tank this weekend from my sis-in-law, how long does it need to cycle on average? I know to check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels but in general how long should it run?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It really depends on what method you use. If you use Bio-spira, you shake the pouch and pour it in and add the fish, tank cycled. That fast. But cycling with fish or fish food can take 4 to 6 weeks. Try reading:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

If you are interested in Bio-spira, it is fairly expensive, $19.95 and $19.95 postage. Just depends on which way you want to go.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom