Food adding phosphate to my tank

Semiaquatic

How much phosphate does food really add to the tank? I feed hikarI mysis and spirulina and brine shrimp cubes as well as some marine flakes with garlic. I know the flakes have phosphates in them but I haven't checked the cubes. I use mainly distilled water in my tank so by definition it shouldn't have phosphates in it I guess. How much will feeding once or twice per day contribute to my phosphate levels? They're currently at .25 ppm

smee82

No idea I would try contacting the company or testing 5 gallon of fish food in a bowl of water and checking the change

Chunk101

You can't get around not adding phosphate to your tank, fresh or saltwater, because all living (and dead) organisms have an abundance of phosphate. It's in the DNA.

You can minimize it, i'e less food, less stock, larger tank or phosphate removal.

Semiaquatic

smee82 if I tested the effect on phosphate levels with 5 gallon of food in say, a gallon of water, how would I extrapolate those numbers to the volume of my tank?

Semiaquatic

Chunk101 I wish I had room for a sump or a media reactor. I would like to be able to run gfo in a reactor to minimize phosphate

smee82

If you measured the phosphate 5 gallon of food added to 1 gallon of water you would be able to assume it adds the same amount to your tank every 5g

Semiaquatic

So basically, if I found what 5 gallon of food adds to one gallon, and I have a 29 gallon tank, I would divide the phosphate level by 29 to assume the total level 29 gallons would reflect?

smee82

Yes sounds good to me but I'm bad at working out how to calculate stuff

Slug

That's a pretty high Phosphate level however are you sure its just the food raising it that much? Perhaps your live rock is leeching it. What are your methods of removing it? WC? GFO? Perhaps you can add more phosphate removal to compensate for any food or leeching going on?

Semiaquatic

How can I tell if my rock is leaching phosphate?

smee82

I don't think you c an without taking it out of your tank and that would disrupt your cycle

Slug

A bit difficult if you have fish and food contributing to it and can't remove a rock to test. Do you have an algae problem? If it is indeed coming out of the rock this could happen slowly for who knows how long. Just need to keep running phosphate removal tools IMO. Make sure you are not over feeding as well, that is usually one of the biggest reasons for excess phosphates.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom