Follow Up: Is it safe to add new fish?

Cepp95

Reaction score
This is a follow up to my previous post awhile ago about neon tetra deaths due to Ick and possibly incomplete cycling.

It has been about 14 days at 86 degrees to kill ick left in substrate, all my tank parameters are the same as prior except now i 15mg/L Nitrate (before 10% water change i just did) but still 0 nitrites and Ammonia and Ammonium. I have dropped the temperature to 80 now. Is safe to add new fish?

Additional question is about a week and 1/2 ago I had a huge boom in all kinds of algae, I have done multiple water changes and cleaned a lot of it out since, but has a decent amount always growing back is this normal? My 4 shrimp and 2 snails can't keep up but i suspect I will soon have 100 snails.

Update
None of the neon tetras made it , 1 shrimp died i assume from the warmer water this morning but was fine in 86 for 12+ days , my snails have laid tons of eggs.

20G H Live Planted Moss Balls , Amazon Swords, Java Moss
2 Weeks Ago Water Parameters/ Current
Temp 83/80
Nitrate 5mg/L/15MG/L
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Ammonium 0ppm
Hardness >300(GH) ppm
Chlorine 0mg/L
KH Between 120-180
pH 7.2/ 7.4

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a source of nutrients that would cause a big increase in algae and snails, most likely overfeeding.

Two weeks at 86 should have killed off the ich. I'd try adding some fish, but just add one or two til you see how it's going to work out.

Why do you think your tank might not have been cycled? Your test readings are consistent for a cycled tank with frequent water changes.

OP
C

Cepp95

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
There is a source of nutrients that would cause a big increase in algae and snails, most likely overfeeding.

Two weeks at 86 should have killed off the ich. I'd try adding some fish, but just add one or two til you see how it's going to work out.

Why do you think your tank might not have been cycled? Your test readings are consistent for a cycled tank with frequent water changes.
Someone in my previous thread suggested it wasn't cycled. Short story my tank was empty except the plants for about 3 weeks I added 4 fish (NT) and they were fine for 1 week, I added 3 more NT from a big box and 5 ghost shrimp. Those 3 NT were fine with the others for about 3 days then they received Ick and all passed in the next couple days. I started raising the temperature and medicating. The original 4 had no symptoms for about 3 more days then the first one had signs, then the other 3, i continued treating and slowly got temp up to 86( this is before i learned i had a broken thermometer and it was really 91ish degrees, this has been fixed). They started dying 1 each day till i had no fish. 1 shrimp died on me but otherwise all is healthy and some snails even hatched. The snails were hitchhikers from the plants. So the individual suggested that the tank wasnt cycled , but i think the heat stressed the original 4 NT out.

I don't really feed the snails besides leaving some dead leaves and algae for them always. The shrimp i like once a week do a tiny tiny tiny bit of fine fish food. BUT i do use a liquid plant fertilizer, I assume this is perhaps part of the problem? I am hoping with my baby snails it may balance out?

New Threads