Folks, I have a problem...

chickadee

I have always had good luck with my tanks equipment and lately with my fish, but I woke up yesterday to my little Damon the oddest shade of yellow and the light and TV were both on. I checked the tank and the temperature was over 100 degrees. This is the first time I have ever had a Marineland Stealth heater malfunction on me. The cories, loaches and otos are all very active and seem to be okay but I am afraid that Damon is not going to make it. Overnight his fins are thinned and wispy half way up and his mouth looks burned and he makes no attempt to swim but just lays in the top of a tall plant and gasps for air even after I slowly managed to get his temperature back to normal. It is a tortuous thing to make yourself bring a temperature like that down slowly even though you know that to do it quickly will probably just kill your fish. I will have to admit it was a bit faster than I would have done normally but I could not stand the thought of cooking them. I am giving him a mild antibiotic to see if it will help to keep him from getting a secondary infection but he is not eating so he may not last the night. I go in for another surgery in the morning and he was my little nursemaid and buddy this time, this really is the pits. Am I whining? Probably, but I thought if anyone understood you all would.

Rose

Chief_waterchanger

Sorry to hear about that, Rose. Best of luck to Damon, and well wishes to you for surgery.

Kevin

good luck to both you and damon...I hope you both make it

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

OMG I am so sorry Rose!!! Miley

I hope you both are ok!!

divakeeks

Rose,
I am so sorry to hear about Damon. I have been away from the board for awhile so I do not know Damon but I know that to be a buddy of yours, he must be special. You always have the most gorgeous fish!!

My aquatic friends and I are thinking of you!!!!

Amnagrla

Aw, rose.

Give us an update on the both of you...

And of course we understand!!

Tom

I am speachless(even though I can still type), if you could see my face right now. Wow, I am so sorry that your heater went screwie on you. I think you know that if any of us were physically closer to you(geographically), we would be there to help you thorugh this.
Tom

voiceless_kat

Dearest Rose, my heart is breaking for you. :'(I have sent an email as well.) This is a terrible accident - I am stunned. We send our best wishes to little Damon, I know he has been your pal recently through some tough things. We so hope that he will be able to make it through this , poor little guy.
Take good care of yourself. We are all here waiting and sending prayers.

Val, Neptune; Wink & Tiny

Miriam

Oh man, I don't even know what to say. Hermes and I will keep our fingers (and fins) crossed for you and Damon. Bettas are tough little suckers, so maybe he will pull through.

COBettaCouple

:'( :'( :'( awww.. poor little guy! we're so sorry to hear that happened to him. well, we pray for a miracle recovery for the little guy - these bettas can amaze us sometimes and we hope he does!

capekate

I am so sorry to hear about Damon and that dang heater... I went through the same thing recently. One suggestion and I know that its late, but did you think to maybe take Damon out of that hot tank and put him in something else while you were lowering the temperature? Something where you could adjust that water temp a lot easier than the tank in emergency? I hope all is well today.. and things are back to normal for you and Damon... poor lil guy!
~ kate

Phloxface

:'( I'm so sorry about poor little Damon! My gang and I will be praying for a miracle recovery...

chickadee

Well he did not make it through the night and I found him at 5 am before I had to report to the hospital. I also found that one of the otos did not make it and since then one of the other otos has disappeared but I have done a complete tank overhaul and still cannot find him and since otos are so great about hiding I am still holding out hope for him. I will say that the couple at Miami Aquariums are sending me 2 free bettas and I bought one for a friend that he has refused to have at his place because he is afraid to do the care so I will have 3 new babies (2 have already come) and so the space is not empty. I divided the 25 gallon tank and one of the 12 gallon tanks in the den already. AJ has taken over the job as nursemaid and is not at all sure what it entails as yet but he is fun to watch so it is at least some entertainment. He will have the last mystery betta in with him, who will be named Prometheus. (Pro for short) The other two are Qwin (orange doubletail Crowntail with beautiful blue eyes ~ I tried to give him away but he is now my adopted baby) and Triton (lavender and red Combtail). Those last two are in the divided 12 gallon in the den as they are such stinkers I thought I needed to keep any eye on them.

The surgery went very well and I am just a little stiff and type funny and occasionally write silly stuff so I told Dave to pull me out of any holes I fall into. When I can get off the meds, I promise to get smart enough to make sense again at least most of the time. hehehehehehehe I know this is a little off topic but I will post pictures of the two new little guys on this so you can get to know them a bit but I will also give them a proper introduction when all three of them are here.

Rose
:;a (Damon )

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

OMG!!! I'm so sorry!!!! :'( :'( :'(

Miley

capekate

hI Rose, I am so sorry to hear about Damon... . It is so hard to loose a Betta, and especially on the day you reported for surgery as if you didn't have enough on your mind already. When my temperature rose on the heater in one tank that was my fault, I felt so horribly guilty over loosing all those cardinal tetras no matter what I did to try to bring the temperature down, it just didn't work out.
On a brighter note... I love your orange doubletail crown.. he is a beauty for sure!!! ;D I still have not looked at Miami aquariums lately but have done so in the past.. I will have to make another effort and take the time to see what they have. Your guys are absolutely beautiful!!! ;D
... wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery and hope that all is well!
~ kate

nmwierman1977

OMG, I don't know how I missed this thread. I've been going through all the threads all week and not once did I see this one until now.

Rose, I am so sorry for your loss. That poor little Damon. The heater that you had was it new or old? It it was old maybe that's why. Maybe it just died and that's why it got up so high. I know those ones are meant to turn off as soon as it reaches the temp it's set at.

On a nicer note congratulations on your new babies. ;D That was so nice of Javier to send you 2 free Bettas. They are such nice people. I've been looking at their Bettas on Ebay and oh man I want another so bad. Unfortunately though I have to wait till we move.

I hope your surgery went well. You are always in my prayers. Natalie

Kevin

I'm so sorry about damon...I remember when I was 10, my fav fish was my rtbs...when he died I hid him in some sort of gel display, and hoped that he wouldnt rot :
hope you enjoy the new guys! ;D

Tom

I am so sorry you lost Damon/Demon. Emerald, Ruby, Ralph and myself all send our love.
Tom

chickadee

The heater was new as it was in the 25 gallon tank and I have not had that tank 6 months yet so it was a new one I know. I am sending it in to Marineland's unit that makes them but I do not want another one back. I put a titanium heater in that tank and will not be putting any other type in there as the controls for the titaniums are not in the water and I feel there is a smaller chance for a failure due to hard water getting into the mechanism. Our water is so hard that I am not sure that calcification did not play a part in the failure. I have a titanium in one of the smaller 12 gallon tanks too so I may replace the ones in the other tanks too. I am just too worried about all this now. The fish I have in the tanks are too expensive and I love them too much to take the risk.

I sat down the other day and figured the amount I have spent on fish in the tanks and nearly fainted. It was about 4 months pay!

Rose

Tom

I think some people would suggest, having 2 heaters that are half of the total Watts and this way, if one goes, the other will keep the tank at a reasonable temp. I either read it on here some where or someone at the store told me it.
Tom

capekate

I think some people would suggest, having 2 heaters that are half of the total Watts and this way, if one goes, the other will keep the tank at a reasonable temp. I either read it on here some where or someone at the store told me it.
Tom
HI Tom, that is a good suggestion...but in the case of Rose's heater malfunction, had she had two of them running it would have been that much hotter in her tank!

voiceless_kat

Rose, you know how sad I am for youin the loss of those fish!!! Since reading about the heater, I must say I am quite paranoid and keep checking them all day/evening long.In my divided tank, I have a stealth like yours 25w and I also have a Theo Hydor 25w. Both are supposed to turn themselves off , but it is scary. I like that the Theo has a light on it.I made a mistake when ordering the Theo it should have been a 50w, but this works well, since there is a divider in between.

It is a good reminder to all of us to watch these things, for sure they aren't failproof.

chickadee

I still believe that the Stealth heater is a good one and will continue to use it in my tanks for as long as they work okay. I have a LOT of them that have never been opened in sizes from 25 to 75 watt and I am still sure that in a pinch they would do just fine in any of my tanks. I have the kind of hard water that goes off the chart so it may have been that calcification had gotten in the mechanism and caused it to stick. I do not know but I do know the titanium heaters mechanism never goes into the water so I can avoid this happening that is the only reason I believe I should change as I need to. I really do not believe in messing with the water so this is the next best thing.

Rose

divakeeks

Sorry for the late reply, Rose, and very sorry for your loss. :'( :;a2

Lilex and Van send their love to you and yours.

My 50 (or more) mystery snail babies send there love, too. :

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NiniCristini
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies