Foggy water in my tank?

1. Molly105 Member Member

I got a new 10 gallon tank with 5 mollies in it on Sunday and around 5:00 the water looked foggy. A website said to wait it out, but it diddnt change overnight. The fish seem fine but the water still looks milky after 2 days. What am I doing wrong?![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Katiec90 Member Member

You could do a partial water change, but honestly i would just leave it be for a few days. I set up my first 10 gal a month ago and it was foggy for a few days. Did you rinse the coral\decor before adding it?

Messing with it too much can keep knocking around the cloud and wont settle.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Hi Molly!

Did you clean the gravel really well before adding it?

It could be a bacteria bloom?

I used a small filter cartidge of API crystal zorb which cleared my 20g right up.

I would also like to inform you that you're overstocked for that tank unfortunately. Live bearers have high bioloads which are not good for smaller tanks. If you want to start a new post about stocking we will be more than happy to help!

4. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It's a bacterial bloom, the tank is cycling.

You should get seachem prime and dose it daily to keep those mollys alive during the cycling process.

Also raise the water level to just below the outlet of the filter.

5 mollys in a tank this size is far overstocked, so you may be better off returning the fish and doing a fishless cycle.

Read about the nitrogen cycle.

5. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Hello Molly, welcome to fishlore!
    Unfortunately your tank is way over stocked, Mollies are livebearers so if you have males and female your going to have lots, and lots and lots of baby mollies . Mollies also have a big bio load which pretty much means they poop... A lot. They can also get to four inches long! They are not suitable for your tank size so this is what you need to do:
    1) Read about the nitrogen cycle (this is the MOST important thing in fish keeping if you cycle your tank then you will have a pleasant fish keeping experience of the most part, in a not cycled tank the fishes can die) here is a link explaining that: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    2) your tank is overstocked so you need to either get a bigger tank (29gallons and up) or return the mollies and get fishes that are suitable for your tank size, like guppies or endlers!
    Oh and and Mike is right bacterial bloom.
    Hope I helped- GoldieBubbles

6. Molly105 Member Member

Thanks guys! I diddnt clean the gravel and also is the tank thing a big deal

I love my lil fish and they seem to like the tank they're pretty active

7. DarkDroid Member Member

Yes! Tank size is definitely an issue.

8. Skyy2112 Member Member

'Active' can also be pointing towards needing more room. I would guess 95% of aquarists have messed this rule up. They can live, but they wont thrive. In order for your fish to be happy, and see 'normal' behavior, a larger tank is the way to go. Also, the amount of 'overstock' CAN be broken in some scenarios (please note I dont know about mollies) but it requires a very good filter, a nice sized footprint (length x width), and very often many cleanings, and if your Biological filtration (see nitrogen cycle) can keep up. This may also depend on your fish, all schools have different minds.

I highly suggest a larger tank, believe it or not, larger is better, more water mass = less change of parameters.

Ps, wait out the cloudyness. DONT add chemicals.

9. Zed Initiate Member

It's definitely a bacteria bloom, how long did you wait before adding the fish? ideally you want to let your tank establish a nitrogen cycle before adding any fish, so that your tank, gravel, filter develop the beneficial bacteria needed to convert the toxic ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. 25% water change may help a little, you shouldn't worry about the milky water, its just bacteria in the water column; what you don't want is ammonia spikes in the water which can poison your fish :(
    Don't worry though, just do your water changes (make sure to add conditioner if you're using tap water) don't disturb the filter or the gravel so that you don't hinder any desired bacteria from cultivating, your tank should be looking crystal clear within the week. keep us updated. Cheers!

P.S. your mollies will get bigger down the line, and a 10 gallon tank might be over crowded... by then you'll become more addicted and get a second, possibly bigger tank though :)

10. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Agreed, your tank is very much overstocked. And yes it is a big deal.
    Right now your best option is to return the mollies unless you want to get a much bigger tank and take the steps to do a Fish-In Cycle

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank is overstocked. I would return 3 of the mollies. I know 2 is maximum, but I think it won't be bad. But you will need to have a very good filter:). You also have an algae bloom because your tank is either cycling, their to much poop in the gravel/tank, or your over feeding them. What's your parameters?

12. Skyy2112 Member Member

What ended up happening?

13. Molly105 Member Member

I got MUCH better

14. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

My 3 mollies started in a 10 gallon. A few back to back water changes got rid of the cloudiness. They are now in a 30 gallon, much happier. You could probably get a 20 gallon kit for under $100

But yes that is exactly why the water is milky. Bacterial bloom. Its going to happen to get the tank cycled, you just need to change the water out to keep the ammonia from spiking. It will spike but with that many mollies in a 10 gallon it could be very dangerous for them. Do you see them breathing fast or at the surface of the water? I had to cut down feedings and do water changes at least twice a week.

Definitely try to get a larger tank. Take the filter floss and bio media (ill assume you have a power filter) and use them in the new tank to keep your cycle from starting over otherwise you'll get milky water all over again.

15. Molly105 Member Member

One of my mollies stays at the bottom and jerks every once in a while, but she's pregnant and close to her due date sooooo

16. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

She could be in labor! I bought 3 pregnant mollies (not purposely) and 2 are still pregnant. Ive had them for about 4 weeks now so they better have fry soon!