Foggy tank, don't know why

CaptainAquatics

Hi all! So my 130 gallon tank (170 gallon system) has become cloudy overnight and I don't know why. I'm not worried about it as the fish are acting fine and the water checks out, i'm just wondering why it happened. This tank has been running for two years continuously with no problem so I am a bit confused. I have not recently done a large change in aquascape or a larger than normal water change. Nothing new has been added to the tank recently besides a filter sock (in the sump) which I cleaned and put in yesterday. Any ideas? I don't think it is a bacteria bloom or algae bloom so I am a bit confused. Thank you!

P.S. I plan to add new filter socks soon as well.

Heron

Is the water coloured or just white cloudiness?.

SAM321

It's most likely bacteria bloom

Will go automatically, do 20% water change daily if possible

Do you have UV filter?

Heron

A UV unit will deal with a bacterial bloom in a few days, if you don't have / want to buy one it should go by itself but may take quite a bit longer. Don't worry though it won't harm the fish at all. They happen from time to time without any obvious cause but nothing to worry about.

CaptainAquatics

Heron said:
A UV unit will deal with a bacterial bloom in a few days, if you don't have / want to buy one it should go by itself but may take quite a bit longer. Don't worry though it won't harm the fish at all. They happen from time to time without any obvious cause but nothing to worry about.
I wasn’t to worried, I just wanted to know what it was. Thank you!
SAM321 said:
It's most likely bacteria bloom

Will go automatically, do 20% water change daily if possible

Do you have UV filter?
I can try to up water changes, and no I don’t have a UV filter sadly
Heron said:
Is the water coloured or just white cloudiness?.
Its just white cloudiness.

SAM321

CaptainAquatics said:
I wasn’t to worried, I just wanted to know what it was. Thank you!

I can try to up water changes, and no I don’t have a UV filter sadly

Its just white cloudiness.
It will go in few days with frequent water changes. You can a small 5w UV filter, which is also good to manage green water issues

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom