Foamy Water

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I noticed small amounts of foam looking bubbles & an oily type film on top of the water. So I removed as much as possible of both and added fresh water. I'll keep an eye out and do a complete WC if it persist. I did my last WC Sunday. IJS

Best Answer - View Wrench's answer

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ghostdawg said:
I noticed small amounts of foam looking bubbles & an oily type film on top of the water. So I removed as much as possible of both and added fresh water. I'll keep an eye out and do a complete WC if it persist. I did my last WC Sunday. IJS
You more than likely experiencing and abundance of protein.
The protein clings to bubbles and forms a film/foam,
An indication the tank needs to be thoroughly cleaned and the filter media swished around in old tank water and it will more than likely fo away.
If it persists you may possibly have gotten a foreign object in there.
What are the water conditions?
Specifically what us the nitrate level?

Broggy

Reaction score
I have had this too from letting my filter media sit in the tank while I did maintenance on the filter, but I didnt see the foam. maybe foam came from the filter churning the water.

OP
ghostdawg

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the replies. I would need to get the water conditions. I do a weekly water change, along with vac the substrate and feed the fish the same food, once a day. I also swish the filter in tank water once a month or so.
This is the first time I'm seeing this after a year. a few weeks ago I did loose an Ember Tetra, which I never found. Sunday I found a Zebra Danio dead while during my WC.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How much surface agitation do you have and is there an airstone in play here. It does sound like the protein bubble fiasco which it usually is. some people get protein scimmers or try the paper towel method until it clears up. Ive only had a foam issue when I used medicine.

OP
ghostdawg

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have no air stone & the agitation is fairly slow. This is a 10 gal tank and the agitation is the same, I haven't adjusted it at all, maybe I should turn it up some.
It may be the beginning when the foam & film began, I used a large cup and got most of it out.
I did take some of the fake plants & the heater out to clean in old tank water when I did WC Sunday. But haven't added anything new.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ghostdawg said:
I have no air stone & the agitation is fairly slow. This is a 10 gal tank and the agitation is the same, I haven't adjusted it at all, maybe I should turn it up some.
It may be the beginning when the foam & film began, I used a large cup and got most of it out.
I did take some of the fake plants & the heater out to clean in old tank water when I did WC Sunday. But haven't added anything new.
Ok, I'll be blunt.
If you want to get rid of the foam and film you need an air stone and or more water current.
Surface agaitation,breaking the surface tension helps in reducing this film on the water surface, the protein in the foam is trapped under the water surface and cannot break through so instead it builds and builds until it started too seep out in foam form, it's a type of pressure build up on the surface and must be aerated to break it apart and let it escape.
Like a cars radiator with a Fischer or pin hole in it.
System builds pressure and it escapes through a pin sized hole and foams and builds.....same difference

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yea I believe outside of getting a scimmer you should create stronger surface agitation so the gases can exchange better and an airstone will provide more oxygen and water movement. I haven't had a 10 gallon in years but the surface is smaller but usually the filter doesn't really do what the bigger filters do in terms of flow and current. Depending on the durability of the fish, you can benefit from a really good mixture and movement of water at the surface level. You could also attempt a small water change after trying one of the "fixes" we've mentioned just to be sure some kind of "chemical" didn't make its way into the tank or something wasn't released into the water during your previous wc somehow. Does food alter this foaming? Sometimes I've noticed that fish food can break up collections of bubbles at the surface. It doesnt mean to just throw in food everytime either as it will affect water quality but I'm interested if you ever noticed this.

OP
ghostdawg

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to keep an eye on this and see if it reappears. I'll test the water to see what are the conditions, asap.

OP
ghostdawg

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just did a 40% WC. Last night I skimmed some of the bubbles/oily stuff of top of water. It doesn't be a lot in the tank. I forgot to test the water first. I'll continue to keep an eye out for the foam/oil.

OP
ghostdawg

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just tested my water and here's the results:
PH 7.2-7.6
HPH 7.4-7.6
Amm 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80-160

What do you all think? I know the nitrate is high.

New Threads