Flying with Fish?

• Thread starter Katsuria
  • Start date

Katsuria

Hey guys,

So I live in Alaska, but I go to Thailand every year to visit my family (except this year for obvious reasons). I have always loved going to Chatuchak market and have always wanted to buy goldfish and betta from the market. Well, I find myself with two empty fish tanks (one 55 gallon and one 10 gallon) and was wondering if anyone has any experience flying with fish.
I plan on getting three goldfish and putting them in the 55 gallon and a betta and putting it in the 10 gallon. I have read that TSA allows live fish as a carry-on, but Thailand and other potential connecting countries don't seem to have clear rules about it. I would like to avoid shipping from Thailand to Alaska if possible. Any information would be great, thank you!

Nickguy5467

Well Known
i dunno. google fish and air pressure? i mean im picturing an eye popping adventure. but i know nothing about this :p

AvalancheDave

Well Known
If you're flying international, customs is going to be a problem.

fishnovice33

Yea I can’t imagine them allowing enough ‘liquid’ for all those fish on the plane when they made me dump out half my ‘liquid’ cologne last time.

Now pre 9/11? You’d be good to go. Airports have changed.

ystrout

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
i dunno. google fish and air pressure? i mean im picturing an eye popping adventure. but i know nothing about this :p
I don't think flying is an issue. Most saltwater fish in the hobby fly on an airplane at least once in their life... I bought a rare puffer from a breeder in Arizona and she flew Southwest to San Diego!

Cinnabar

Katsuria said:
Hey guys,

So I live in Alaska, but I go to Thailand every year to visit my family (except this year for obvious reasons). I have always loved going to Chatuchak market and have always wanted to buy goldfish and betta from the market. Well, I find myself with two empty fish tanks (one 55 gallon and one 10 gallon) and was wondering if anyone has any experience flying with fish.
I plan on getting three goldfish and putting them in the 55 gallon and a betta and putting it in the 10 gallon. I have read that TSA allows live fish as a carry-on, but Thailand and other potential connecting countries don't seem to have clear rules about it. I would like to avoid shipping from Thailand to Alaska if possible. Any information would be great, thank you!
The most important thing is to check with your airline to see if they allow shipment Of live fish. TSA allows you to bring larger amounts of liquids if there are live animals in it. I assume Thailand doesn’t have very strict export laws (Vietnam sure doesn’t lol). Also check to see what kind of imports are banned in your destinations. When bringing live fish into the US from abroad, you have to “declare” it and an official will inspect it to make sure it complies to regulations. If you’re just bringing in goldfish and bettas I think you’re good to go.

fishnovice33 said:
Yea I can’t imagine them allowing enough ‘liquid’ for all those fish on the plane when they made me dump out half my ‘liquid’ cologne last time.

Now pre 9/11? You’d be good to go. Airports have changed.
Liquids are allowed if they contain a live animal. I assume that’s because you can’t keep a fish in explosives lol

Top Bottom