Flying Fox? Tetra?

Radcliffe

Reaction score
(those were the guesses at the fish store)

I seem to be irrisistably drawn to baby fish all alone in tanks at my lfs. It started with rescuing an adorable little spotted feeder guppy for a quarter. Now, this little guy came home with me yesterday. He/she was swimming in their tank filled with live plants, and is under an inch long. It seems completely comfy in the tank with the tetras, and swims with them like he has always been around.
clear.gif

He is really quite teeny, so I can't see if he has the little clear bottom fins of the algae eater, and he doesn't seem interested in the bits of algae in the tank, or the bottom.
clear.gif

And a quick look at his current home, he is one of the blurs, swimming with a vriety of small tetras. I have a couple of other tanks he could go in if he gets large or unfriendly, and the lfs said I could bring him back if he turns out to be the type of fish I will not want in my communities. (nice of them!)
clear.gif

I had thought that he might be one of these:

but he doesn't seem interested in the bottom of the tank, and he has a second black stripe under the one horizontally across his body.

So? any thoughts? I like him lots, but want to be sure I am giving him a good home and want to be aware if he will outgrow my space, etc.

Thanks!

--R

Attachments

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say a barb rather than tetra, since there is no adipose fin.
Not able to tell if it is a fox without a closer shot of the mouth.

Dino

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
Typically, baby Flying Foxes, False Flying Foxes, and SAE's resemble the adults at that size, from what I've seen. Unless it's younger than it looks, in which case, I've never seen them that young.

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Hmm, I am still not sure what sort of fish I have here. I have tried to get a good look at its mouth to no avail. As it is in a planted, peaceful tank and looks happy I will hope it grows up enough to be able to determine what it is. I am not even sure what it is eating, sweet little thing.

--R

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
maybe easier to identify as he/she gets bigger :-\. can you post more pics as he grows til we get him identified. i'm curious!!!
tan

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Oh I most certainly will! It is such a peaceful little fish that I am not worried about compatibility at the moment, and it is really kinda fun to play the identify game. I can see its mouth well enough now to know for certain that it does not have a down facing sucker type mouth. I think it nibbles algae, and also investigates small bits of falling flake food. I have not seen it rest on the bottom or side of the tank, it ususally chills out in the lower part of the tank near a plant or with the tetras.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
its always more fun to have an unidentified fish than another guppy or platty etc! my rainbow was unidentified for a while. good luck with him/her! tan

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
clear.gif

Here is another attempt at a photo of the unidentified fish. My camera autofocuses on the background, so it is still blurry. I think it is so cute how the little guy gave that bloodworm a real try. He/she swam around holding that worm for quite a while before giving up! I can tell that it is getting a bit bigger, good diet and water conditions. It still has that little bit of a second black line. And, I suppose I can guess that it isn't a complete herbavore.

--R

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
does ths black line go along the bottom part of his tail? if so could be a penguin tetra? has he got a sucker mouth? hard to see these things in the picture. I can't ever get decent photos of my fish either. yours are certainly better than mine though! I just get a blur!!
tan

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Nope, the second black line doesn't continue along the entire body, and it doesn't have a sucker mouth either, lol.

Sweet little mystery fish!

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
For the moment, no. The end of the tail is completely clear and not forked. However, the Emperor tetra is a good guess, so is the flying fox, those are currently my top top contenders. I think as the little guy grows I will eventually be able to get a good idea of where the fin are, and the shape and final coloring of the tail.

Hee hee, such fun!

clear.gif

AH ha! I got a better picture this time! Of course now I think it is neither a flying fox, or an emperor tetra.

The mystery continues!

--R

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
that's a fantastic picture, wish I could take decent pics of my fish, but yes it does add more mystery!! that black line looks drawn on the way it goes through the eye!!! it looks so cute I want one!!! the tail is def not like a emperor though. more like a female guppy tail with that fan shape, but obviously the rest of the body and colouring says it most definitely isnt! mmmm, will keep thinking......
tan

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Thanks! I must have taken 30 pictures trying to get that one, lol. Sneaky little guy!
I have spent hours now trying to figure out what this little cutie is! I bought him/her from the plant tank at my lfs, so I guess it was a rogue fry at some point. The best news is that it is a peaceful member of my community tank, but the wondering is driving me nuts!

--R

lolagurl

Reaction score
its so pretty maybe some type of cichlid? I don't know but if I saw it I would want it...what did the pet store staff say when you asked

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Ok this is funny, I found a thread with another mystery fry photographed, it looks quite a bit like mine:

Looking through their pictures and considering their fish was also found in a plant tank-
I think I have a baby Brilliant Rasbora!

:)

(ok, or a baby beckford's pencilfish...)

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
was lookin today in the lfs at their flying foxes and thet have pointy tails (2 points like the penguin tetra) rather than the spade shape one yours has. that link's fish does look identicle to yours. whatever that is!!!!!!!!!! lol
tan

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
a lined rasbora? looks like yours. was looking to see what a brilliant rasbora looks like and found this.

is a pic of a brilliant rasbora. the tail is still wrong. its spiky again rather than rounded....

OP
R

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Yeah the tail is wrong, and my baby fish has no color. I think it is a brilliant rasbora though, because the other guys fish looked just like mine and was also a baby. I will be watching it closely for any signs of tail color, and to see if it does in fact have a change in tail shape... He even got his as a ride along on a plant, which is how my lfs likely got theirs. Looking at all the rasboras makes me want more of them!!!

New Threads