Flying Fox/Siamese Algae Eater. What do I have?

1. g

gschra11 Initiate Member

Howdy folks,

As you may be aware, there is a notorious problem with LFSes selling differing Flying Foxes as Siamese Algae Eaters. These so-called "False SAEs" understandably get confused because the two fish have so many similar features.

This fish was sold at my LFS as a "Flying Fox," Epalzeorhynchus Kallopterus. However, after browsing all over the internet, it seems that this Flying Fox might actually be a true SAE. (Crossocheilus siamensis)

I say so because according to a couple of articles I read, a SAE's stripe goes from head to its tail and through the tail fin itself. The articles' state that a Flying Fox's strip stops at the tail and does not go through the fin.

Also, my fish doesn't have any color on its body that I can see at all. It's dorsal side is silver, not gold, supposedly another distinguishing feature. The fins are translucent with no color.

What is your opinion?

20140727_123304.jpg 20140727_123405.jpg 20140727_123543.jpg

Sources: http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread...etween-a-Siamese-Algae-Eater-and-a-Flying-Fox
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

2. t

temptresstoo Initiate Member

The mouth looks wrong to be a SAE. They have suction apparatus.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd say it was a siamese algae eater

4. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Member Member

I agree with Coradee. Pretty sure you have a true SAE there!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dempsey Dude

Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

Yeah I'd say SAE. Looks exactly like the two that I have which I know for a fact are true SAE's.

6. plecostomuch

plecostomuch Member Member

True sae. Tail stripe looks correct. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    g

gschra11 Initiate Member

Thanks!