Fly infestation and getting rid of them

connorjs1004

So I was already planning on redoing my tank, but then about a week ago or so I noticed flies moving around between the surface of the water and lid of my tank. I managed to find out that they are either some type of midge fly or drain fly, and a single YouTube video on ways to get rid of them. So, over the last week, I duct taped all the cracks in the lid to ensure no flies could get in or out, wiped all algae off the lid and sides of the tank above the water line, vacuumed a large amount of detritus out of substrate, feeding once every two days so that the fish in the tank will eat the larvae swimming about, and have been manually squashing at least 5-6 adult flies everyday. In the video, it states that even with all this it is likely to take a month or two of doing all this for the flies to disappear. Quite frankly I don't know if I have time or energy to spend almost an hour every day doing this on top of all the other maintenance.

Would it just be easier at this point to drain the tank, change substrate, clean the sponge filters, and spray everything down with vinegar? I read somewhere that vinegar can kill the eggs and larvae without being as harmful as other chemical cleaners. Would this successfully get rid of them or is there another way?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Morphi
Replies
Views
KevlarFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies