Fluval Vs Seachem?

Kisa
I have a question of, Fluval product vs Seachem...
Honestly, I feel like both can work really well, just seeking opinions...

I already bought Fluval products (as it was the only one in my store). Otherwise I would have had to wait to ship for Seachem.

1. Is there really a difference?
2. Both work about the same? Or should I pick one vs the other?
3. Also, how long do they last? Change monthly? Or can they last longer?

*NOTE: Would be using the product for 5g... 10g... and 50g*

So, Seachem
or
Fluval

HORNET1
Both of these products are about the same as far as efficiency goes and both work quite well...
Six of one and a half dozen of the other.
Take your pick

*My personal choice is Zero-Carb simply because of convenience.

Kisa
Thanks for your input!!

tocandesu
I like Purigen because I can recharge it and reuse it several times without replacing it. Purigen itself indicates when it needs changing since it turns darker as it absorbs impurities.

Kisa
Oh! That's interesting! Mind sharing how you recharge it? What you use/how.

tocandesu
Oh! That's interesting! Mind sharing how you recharge it? What you use/how.
You recharge Purigen with a 1:1 solution of bleach and water. You let it sit in the solution until it turns white again. Afterwards, you rinse it out and soak it in water that has been overdosed with Prime or any water conditioner. I usually let it sit for a couple of hours or until I can't smell bleach.

Kisa
Oh wow, that's it?

How many times can it be 'recharged' before its time to think about getting a brand new one.

THRESHER
Oh wow, that's it?

How many times can it be 'recharged' before its time to think about getting a brand new one.

Taken from Seachem's site:

" REGENERATION: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit."

MaverickCoast
A "fun fact" that I ran across, doing research on recharging Purigen, is that if you follow Seachem's directions, it will take you around 36 hours to complete all the steps. Haven't added up all the time myself, but that sounds about right! As cheap as it is and as long as it lasts, I'll just replace it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
rmurray
Replies
Views
Black Thumb
Replies
Views