Fluval Underwater Filter Question

1. sross78 Member Member

My filter has been running in a cycled tank for several months and each time i clean the foam pads, i wonder should I also be replacing the poly/carbon pads that slide in next to them? Do these have a shelf life of just a few months or do they last longer with cleanings?

Also, are they even necessary, should I just purchase two more foam pads to put in the filter instead?

Thanks

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

You can rinse them if you want to get the gunk out, but use tank water not tap (tap will kill your bacteria). I'd only recommend changing your filter pad if it's literally falling apart, and even then you could stuff it into a mesh bag or something to preserve your bacteria (unless its disintegrating of course)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

IMO IME, the carbon poly pads should be replaced. Leave the foam alone. Most filters nowadays use the sponge and some other form of media/material/framework to house the BB. The Polypad/carbon pockets should be replaced regularly.
    By replacing them regularly, the system doesn't rely on any BB that grows in the polypad, the bb in the foam and such stays intact (of course reusing the foam and cleaning with tank water)

4. sross78 Member Member

I only rinse them is tank water but i was wondering if the poly/carbon pads are even necessary in a cycled tank? I have read elsewhere that they are not so couldn't i just add two more foam pads in where the poly/carbon pads sit or would that not help with filtering at all?

Thanks

5. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Something needs to go there as first defense, that is your mechanical. It is the carbon that is at question for people, personal choice on carbon. Some kind of first filter material needs to be there so detritus/waste doesn't clog up the rest of the filtration. Foam pads may not be enough filtration at the start, I don't know how coarse or not the foam is.