Fluval U2 Filter, Which Parts Should I Remover Before Using Treatment Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Stephsmithers, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Stephsmithers

StephsmithersNew MemberMember

Hi everyone, im somewhat new to fish keeping and I suspect my fish, Oscar, who is a fan tail goldfish has fin rot as some of his fins have become ragged. I picked up some melafix today from PaH. I have been advised to remove any carbon from my filter which is a Fluval U2.
    Now in the filter is the biomax cartridge and the poly/carbon cartridges next to the sponges. Is biomax activated carbon and should I remove this with the poly carbon cartridges? if I do wouldn't this upset my well established biological filter which I have just mastered on how to keep it stable. Please help

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Leave the biomax and remove the poly carbon.

3. Gary1962

Gary1962Valued MemberMember

I agree.
    If the nitrogen cycle in your tank is well established, there should be enough good bacteria in the sponges and biomax media to maintain the cycle.

4. OP
    OP
    Stephsmithers

StephsmithersNew MemberMember

Excellent thank you both I will do that :) thought as much but just wasn't sure and wanted to double check. Just out of interest then fro future reference do you know what the biomax filter actually is? I have tried looking it up but just end up getting descriptions of what it does and where to buy it :p Its like little white porous stones.
    Thanks again :)

5. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

I believe it is a ceramic.

6. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember