Help Fluval U2 Filter, Which Parts Should I Remover Before Using Treatment

Stephsmithers

Reaction score
HI everyone, I'm somewhat new to fish keeping and I suspect my fish, Oscar, who is a fan tail goldfish has fin rot as some of his fins have become ragged. I picked up some melafix today from PaH. I have been advised to remove any carbon from my filter which is a Fluval U2.
Now in the filter is the biomax cartridge and the poly/carbon cartridges next to the sponges. Is biomax activated carbon and should I remove this with the poly carbon cartridges? if I do wouldn't this upset my well established biological filter which I have just mastered on how to keep it stable. Please help

Gary1962

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stephsmithers said:
HI everyone, I'm somewhat new to fish keeping and I suspect my fish, Oscar, who is a fan tail goldfish has fin rot as some of his fins have become ragged. I picked up some melafix today from PaH. I have been advised to remove any carbon from my filter which is a Fluval U2.
Now in the filter is the biomax cartridge and the poly/carbon cartridges next to the sponges. Is biomax activated carbon and should I remove this with the poly carbon cartridges? if I do wouldn't this upset my well established biological filter which I have just mastered on how to keep it stable. Please help
I agree.
If the nitrogen cycle in your tank is well established, there should be enough good bacteria in the sponges and biomax media to maintain the cycle.

OP
S

Stephsmithers

Reaction score
Excellent thank you both I will do that thought as much but just wasn't sure and wanted to double check. Just out of interest then fro future reference do you know what the biomax filter actually is? I have tried looking it up but just end up getting descriptions of what it does and where to buy it Its like little white porous stones.
Thanks again

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the biomax are the white ceramic beads in the middle of the filter inside the blue cage.

or these which come in a mesh bag

New Threads