Fluval U1 Biomedia Keeps Falling Apart? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Cheesewoman, May 25, 2018.

1. Cheesewoman

CheesewomanValued MemberMember

Hey guys,

I have a Fluval U1 filter in my 10 gallon tank. It came with a sponge in the filter, that you could remove the middle part of to add some biomedia, so I bought the Fluval biomedia (I think it's the Clean and Clear 499 or something) little cartridge things that contain biomedia, and put them into the filter.

The first cartridge split down the side about a week after I put it in there - I noticed all of the media spilling out into my tank and immediately swapped it for the other one that came in the pack.

Now several weeks down the line I've had the same issue, the cartridge has split and all the media is just splurging out into the tank. I'm sure it's not harmful to my fish, but it is annoying and I've now run out of these bags and have had to put the foam section back in the middle instead. This tank is fully cycled already so it won't necessarily change that... but ugh.

I really wouldn't get this filter again, I can't even open the top of it without pulling the whole thing out of the tank, and then the suckers come off the back and uurghhfff.... :banghead:

So the question is: will the foam alone be good enough filtration - or should I put some sort of biomedia (something bigger maybe and more reliable) in there? :drowning:

This is for my 10 gallon: 1 gourami, 6 cherry barb, 4 oto and 5 shrimp, planted tank

2. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

What kind of media is it? Are they the mesh bags with ceramic rings? Mine are always ripped as well. I either try to tie the hole off or try and face the hole upwards in the sponge so it doesn’t fall out. The sponge alone should be fine, but if you can figure out a way to get the media in there, that’d probably be better. Maybe try wrapping it in a new pair of pantyhose too.

3. OP
    OP
    Cheesewoman

CheesewomanValued MemberMember

Honestly I have no idea what they are mad of - they're not like mesh, more of a felt? The biomedia is really small inside... not really sure how to describe it but it's like tiny little balls with a few white chippings in there of ceramic or something?

I think I will try and get a mesh bag or something and just put some loose biomedia in it and place that in the middle instead.

4. BReefer97

Hmm, I’m not familiar with that type of media? I would try and get this if you can, it’s fairly cheap for a 3 pack at most pet stores. And it really doesn’t need changed out all that often. I’m not sure what size you would need though.

Attached Files:

5. finnipper59

finnipper59Well Known MemberMember

You could certainly add more media to your filter to grow more beneficial bacteria, but sponges already have tons of surface area for bacteria to grow. As far as using a media that absorbs chemicals such as carbon, they're really not necessary unless you've recently finished a medication treatment and you want something to help along with partial water changes to get rid of leftover medication. If you really want something else in your filter, I'm not suggesting that you not use it...your decision of course. I just don't see it as necessary.

6. BReefer97

I would get either those ceramic rings I posted, or bioballs. They’re plastic balls. And yeah, OP already has a sponge but the sponge has compartments in it for extra media to go, which would be better to have IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice