Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Fluval Substrate Stratum For Shrimp And Plants. Water Be Brown!

1. japswe

japswe New Member Member

I rinsed the substrate as described and the water is so brown. Will this settle quickly? Looking for input from people who have use this, I hear it's great for the plants and shrimp though! Using a Fluval Edge 6 gallon with equipped filter.

14ddf3a5312125b1076e683001cd27b0.jpg

2. april_fish

april_fish Valued Member Member

I haven't used this substrate before but I heard it works great for shrimp and planted tanks!

Did you add the substrate first then the water or the water first?

How did you rinse the substrate?

3. OP
    OP
    japswe

japswe New Member Member

Rinsed the substrate first trying to mix it around too much using a large bowl and strainer. The granules are very light and breaks easy which I assume is all the dark stuff. Added water after placing in tank. Sure hope it clears as I don't want to start over

4. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I just put this in my tank a couple days ago. First time using.
    I read to rinse it 3x, so I rinsed mine pretty well and didn't get that cloudiness.
    I do wonder if I may have over rinsed, but that's "water under the bridge now" (har har).
    Let it sit - it will eventually settle. :)

5. april_fish

april_fish Valued Member Member

Yeah it should clear up soon :)

Good luck!

Have you decided what you will stock the tank with?

6. OP
    OP
    japswe

japswe New Member Member

My plan is some velvet blue shrimp, cherry shrimp and a snail or two. I have some spare moss balls in another tank that I'll add too along with several plants. Trying for that lawn look, it's so pretty bright green against dark substrate :)

7. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Yes - it's my first time using the dark substrate and I LOVE how the plants look with it. Show us how it looks when it's planted!

8. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Nope. Give it a day or 3 lol. It is what it is. Ha.

It will clear. Just be patient. I have learned that is THE key to higher end soil tanks. Patience. Ugh.

9. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Just know if you keep blue velvet and red cherry together they will breed together and you will have brown "wild color" babies.

10. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Who told you to rinse it? Rule #1 of soil based substrates is don't disturb it ;)

11. tommywantfishy

Stratum says to rinse. Through a strainer briefly.

12. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yikes! Honestly I would ignore that in the future and just do water changes to remove any dust, without disturbing the soil in any way.

13. tommywantfishy

I did not rinse mine. Ha. It settled. I do have more dust when moving stuff in the lower levels of my tank with the stratum. Where I have built up with ada Amazonia I have 0 dust when moving things.

Advertising