Fluval Stratum Question

1. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

alright so i am going to be adding fluvals stratum to my tank and wasnt sure how to change it from gravel to the substrate as i only have one tank. people say you should drain the tank, then put it in but that isnt possible for me :/

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Why is that not possible for you?

3. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

because i have nowhere to put my fish if i drain it completely

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Is it for your betta tank? Do you have a bucket that you use for water changes?
    I suppose you dont have to drain your water. It’s just be easier.

5. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

yeah i do have a bucket i use for water changes and also a measuring cup that i can put him in until i refill the tank

6. Uncle Bocephus

Uncle Bocephus New Member Member

I just changed from gravel to the Plant and Shrimp stratum myself in my 55 gallon tank, here's how I did it.

I cut off both my filters and removed all driftwood, large rocks, clay pots, live plants, etc.. Then I removed about 3 gallons of water for jumping fish prevention. Starting at one end of the tank moving to the other I removed all gravel (filled an entire 5 1/2 gallon bucket) leaving all fish and shrimp in the tank. I allowed the dirt and detritus to settle on the bare glass then sucked it out with the gravel vacuum (Great time for a water change!).

Lightly rinsed the Fluval stratum to remove the dust (scooped some out and rinsed it in a net) using the 3 gallons of previously drained water. Added the rinsed stratum directly into the tank. Repeat until done. Replace the decorations gently and replace the drained water with new clean treated water. Turn filters back on. Job complete.

Overnight any fouling of the water from any residual dust will settle or filter out and you will now have clear water.

7. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

ah ok thanks! its my first time using something that isnt gravel and didnt think of doing research before ordering the substrate. i will try to do it the way you did!

8. Uncle Bocephus

Uncle Bocephus New Member Member

any luck?

9. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

sadly it hasnt arrived yet. it should be here wednesday or thursday but i will let you know how it goes!