Fluval Stratum Contains Ammonia? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jasminesaquarium, Jul 19, 2019.

?

Does fluval stratum contain ammonia?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jasminesaquarium

JasminesaquariumNew MemberMember

I have decided to change my substrate from gravel to fluval stratum plant substrate, I have already ordered it online but just now a came across a video and the guy reviewing the stratum says it contains ammonia! Help I have an completely cycled tank with fish and the last thing I want is an ammonia strike! Does fluval stratum really contain ammonia? And if so is there a way to get rid of the ammonia before putting it in the tank?

2. StupidMonkey

StupidMonkeyNew MemberMember

I've not heard of it containing ammonia, though, if you're doing a complete substrate change there's always the chance you remove enough BB from the old substrate to cause a spike anyway. If you are worried you could always soak some in a jug for a while with water and then test the water parameters just to make sure?

3. OP
    OP
    Jasminesaquarium

Thx good idea! I will change it in stages as not to remove all the good bacteria at once!

4. StupidMonkey

StupidMonkeyNew MemberMember

Something you could do is putting some of the old substrate in a pair of tights or something and letting them sit in the tank for a bit. Also if you put the mud substrate in a jug or bottle and fill it with water first and then put it into the tank I tend to find it kicks up less dirt. I only mention because I recently did the same switch in my tank that you're doing!

5. OP
    OP
    Jasminesaquarium

Ty for the tips! I'll definitely try that!