Fluval Spec V Heater

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by vivelafish, Jul 24, 2015.

1. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

Has anyone found a good heater for the Fluval Spec V? I'm looking for something small. It's a small tank and I'm afraid of it overheating. I found a video online where a guy said he used this heater:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-AQE06194-Heater-Aquarium-10-watt/dp/B009ETLY30

and he just slipped it behind the pump on the side and apparently it worked well. But I'm kind of wary of the heater reviews. It looks kind of unreliable.

So in conclusion, does anyone have any recommendations for a good heater that won't look too bulky and overbearing in the tank? I just worry because I don't know where I'd run the cord if not through the middle of the top which feels kind of messy-looking to me. But obviously the heating of the tank is my main concern so if I have to, I will.

I haven't purchased this tank yet but I'm considering it. I'm using it to house red cherry shrimp.

EDIT: Here's the video of the guy putting in the heater. Fastforward to 18min. He likes to talk haha.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjoaKoxr0TQ

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

There's been several reviews about how bad that heater is, how hot it is, and one person even said it almost fried their betta when it malfunctioned. I remember even someone on these forums had the same thing happen to them also.

3. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Okay thank you! I'll avoid that heater then.

4. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

A couple of days ago I got a steal on the Fluval spec v, I picked it up from petsmart for just 33bucks!

Anyhow I too will be using it for shrimp, I'm planning on yellow neons and maybe some tigers so I was on the hunt for a heater, the one you showed seemed like a good choice but after reading many bad reviews about it overheating if the ambient temperature gets too high put me off.

As a result I did some more hunting for a small heater that has a thermostat and is adjustable and I have settled on this 25watt hydor, I do not have it yet, it is on order from Amazon, it's a little higher price for the wattage but it also comes with good reviews, I am not sure if it will fit in the filter slot yet so I'm not sure how it will work out, once I get it will try it out and can report back if that would help?

Heres the link to the heater,
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLPG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

P.S. I'm a subscriber to pecktec on YouTube, I like watching his vids! His review is what made me interested in the Fluval spec v.

5. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Hi Dan, Thanks for your comprehensive answer! I also saw that heater as well. I'm considering it. I found an article detailing different heaters that fit in the Spec V. If you don't mind getting back to me on how it works, I'd appreciate it! I'm sure you read the article too, but just in case, here's the link.

6. DanB80TTS

I read a ton of articles and I'm pretty sure that was one of them, I know that downs the heater fitting in the space but I'm skeptical on how it will perform in that area, I've seen a lot of people suggest putting some holes in the return pipe to give more water movement around it.

I thought if I could get it to fit down below the filter media safely it might improve the performance, I will have to do I bit of experimenting with it, I would prefer not to have to cut holes in the return pipe. I don't think it would effect the performance too much because it is a pretty powerful pump.

You will need the modify it a bit to make it shrimp safe. I cut up a small net I had and used some silicone to glue the net over the overflow and the 'safety hole' so no small or baby shrimp find themselves being made into shrimp soup by the pump.

7. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Yeah, i talked to some people and I'm planning on cutting a block of media sponge and wedging it behind the intake so it fits in place. That's what I've read a lot of people do so I'll probably try that. And I'll most likely be trying to holes in the pipe method. Hopefully it works out for both us!

8. DanB80TTS

Yeh the foam should work well for the top but there is another hole lower down that is a safety feature for if the water lever drops below the top overflow. Some people just straight up block it, I wouldn't see that as being an issue if you keep on top of your tanks, but I still didn't want to completely block it, there is a million and one ways to modify it so you will have plenty of options.

9. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Ah, right. I read something about that. I saw someone said they slid an old credit card to cover the hole with the numbers facing the tank to still allow intake while blocking shrimp from entering. So I'll probably try that method.

10. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

I had to chime in on the heater issue with another option. While I would prefer to have it out of site completely, the one we had didn't end up fitting in the small space by the filter pump so I just have our heater in the tank in the corner nearest to the intake grate and have some tall plants arranged around it - both hairgrass and I believe vals or something similar - to camouflage the heater. I only have a small amount of both as a trial to see which grows better in that tank and what works better to disguise the heater (I'm still somewhat new to plants and learning much of what I know by trial and error if you hadn't guessed that already)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. DanB80TTS

My Hydor 25w heater came a few days ago, I haven't messed with it because it's been hot here and I've just not really messed with my spec, it's still in the process of cycling. I just pulled the heater out and tested it in the filter area, it's a snug fit and it is touching the pipe to the outlet and the power cord to the pump. the heater isn't supposed to touch anything but I don't think it would be an issue to be honest, if that is a worry though you could mount it in the tank somewhere,
    I'm tempted to mount it horizontally right next to the outlet but I'm not sure what to do about the cord as I will be using the lid for the tank.

I don't have a free outlet right now so I won't be running it until I get a splitter plug thing, it fits though I just don't mow how position will effect performance yet.

12. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Did you fit it in without the suction cups?

Where are you running the cord if it's in your tank? Just through the top opening? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. DanB80TTS

I doubt you could use the suction cups, I didn't try but it was already a tight fit without them.

14. OP
    OP
    vivelafish

Oh I wasn't planning on using the suction cups, I was just wondering if you did. Thanks for your help!

15. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

I just run it out the back. I know that it doesn't allow the lid to close fully at that corner and I am planning on modifying the lid to allow a small opening for a cord but just haven't gotten to it yet. I am also debating just leaving it as is and running it out the opening instead. The betta in that tank is fairly new so we are in that initial time period when things will periodically evolve as test out different arrangements until we find what fits him best.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice