Fluval spec V gal too strong current?

Vivo

I just got a female betta and put her in a Fluval spec 5 gallon. Has anyone noticed if the current is too strong? If so, what can I do about it?

redhalfmoonbetta

Some have mentioned that there is a pre-filter sponge Fluval makes that you can put on the intake, which reduces the flow.

Koneko

When I had bettas in the Fluval Spec V, I used the pre-filter sponge on the intake because the current is strong. I just recently set one up again, and just bought another pre-filter sponge to use on the intake.

MomeWrath

I have a regular cylinder-type prefilter sponge that I put over the OUTPUT, not the intake, to buffer the current. The pre-filter sort of wedges on the side closest to the glass and holds itself in place. Buffering the intake slots won't slow how fast the pump pushes water out.

Gudgie

The pump on the filter should be adjustable. If you look on the side of it, there’s a small slider with a + and -. I’d push it all the way toward the minus if possible - that’s what I had to do with my betta, and he’s been fine with it.

Otherwise, you can put a sponge on the output as others have suggested, or you can make a DIY spray bar as described in this post:
Fluval Spec Spray Bar Mod (complete With Part Numbers) | 360481 | Filters and Filtration

Vivo

Thanks. Just ordered the pre filter.

Vivo

Do u find the intake too strong?

Gudgie

Vivo said:
Do u find the intake too strong?
No, he’s never had an issue with the intake. Since I’m debating adding shrimp to the setup, I may add mesh or a sponge to the top by the intake to make sure those can’t get sucked into the filter. But my betta is fine :)

Vivo

Top Bottom