Fluval Spec 3 Stock Light

DCJ
HI forum!

I'm going to be setting up a pico tank in the New Year and picked the Fluval Spec III because it fits snugly into what is literally the only space I have left for a tank, because I'm crazy

I'm planning on stocking with rock flower nems mainly, ricordea, maybe some Xenia and shrooms with a sexy shrimp or 2. Note: I'm definitely not going to try SPS, even down the line, I don't really like them.

I just wondered if anyone's using the stock lights on their tank? Alternatively, if the stock light should be adequate for my projected stocking? A better light is nice but I like the flat profile and I'd rather not buy yet another replacement light.

For comparisons sake I'm using the Fluval Evo 13 stock lighting happily, although I'm aware that tank was designed with reef lighting needs in mind.

Thank you for your time as always!

live4wetsleeves
I have a Fluval spec V and the light isn't worth jack squat. Couldn't even sustain low light freshwater plants. The LED's actually became very dI'm over the span of a few months to the point that they're completely useless. I'd recommend replacing the cheapie Fluval stock lights no matter what, but that's just me. Obviously it differs between fresh and marine aquariums too but I doubt the temp of light provided by the stock LED's would complement marine life very well. Usually a lower temperature is desirable in salt water tanks.

DarkOne
live4wetsleeves said:
I have a Fluval spec V and the light isn't worth jack squat. Couldn't even sustain low light freshwater plants. The LED's actually became very dI'm over the span of a few months to the point that they're completely useless. I'd recommend replacing the cheapie Fluval stock lights no matter what, but that's just me. Obviously it differs between fresh and marine aquariums too but I doubt the temp of light provided by the stock LED's would complement marine life very well. Usually a lower temperature is desirable in salt water tanks.
Do you have the new version or old version?

I have the new version Spec 3 and the light seems adequate for medium light plants. I'm using it more as an experimental tank than a display tank. I have potting soil mix with a sand cap. Most of the plants are randomly scattered around but I thought about rescaping it after moving it to a more viewable spot.

2018-11-24 12.57.28.jpg

live4wetsleeves
DarkOne said:
Do you have the new version or old version?

I have the new version Spec 3 and the light seems adequate for medium light plants. I'm using it more as an experimental tank than a display tank. I have potting soil mix with a sand cap. Most of the plants are randomly scattered around but I thought about rescaping it after moving it to a more viewable spot.
I must have the old version. I will say that the Spec I have started out bright but deteriorated horribly over time.

DCJ
live4wetsleeves I've heard that about the V - I've also heard that the first run of Spec's had poor lighting that failed within 6 months due to poor water proofing, but that the new lighting (new tanks are the ones with the black honeycomb backing instead of the frosted glass) has fixed that issue and are stronger lights as well. I think a lot of people recommend 10000k for marine lighting, the new light with the Spec III is 7000k

DarkOne I really wanted to know what the new light was like, but for corals and nems

Thank you for taking the time to comment you guys, I appreciate it

DarkOne
I've had mine for 8 months now and the light is still very bright (8hrs a day). Can't help with corals and nems.

live4wetsleeves
DCJ said:
live4wetsleeves I've heard that about the V - I've also heard that the first run of Spec's had poor lighting that failed within 6 months due to poor water proofing, but that the new lighting (new tanks are the ones with the black honeycomb backing instead of the frosted glass) has fixed that issue and are stronger lights as well. I think a lot of people recommend 10000k for marine lighting, the new light with the Spec III is 7000k

DarkOne I really wanted to know what the new light was like, but for corals and nems

Thank you for taking the time to comment you guys, I appreciate it
Ha! Guess I'm not up to date on the new Specs. Guess I have some trust issues regarding that line. ‍XD

Jesterrace
DCJ said:
HI forum!

I'm going to be setting up a pico tank in the New Year and picked the Fluval Spec III because it fits snugly into what is literally the only space I have left for a tank, because I'm crazy

I'm planning on stocking with rock flower nems mainly, ricordea, maybe some Xenia and shrooms with a sexy shrimp or 2. Note: I'm definitely not going to try SPS, even down the line, I don't really like them.

I just wondered if anyone's using the stock lights on their tank? Alternatively, if the stock light should be adequate for my projected stocking? A better light is nice but I like the flat profile and I'd rather not buy yet another replacement light.

For comparisons sake I'm using the Fluval Evo 13 stock lighting happily, although I'm aware that tank was designed with reef lighting needs in mind.

Thank you for your time as always!
It's a bit pricey, but a Kessil A80 might be the perfect light for a tank that small, also an Xenia coral will overrun a pico tank in NOTHING FLAT. They grow like invasive weeds.

This would be the ultimate light (beyond overkill though):

DCJ
DarkOne that's good to know! Thank you for the help you HAVE given

live4wetsleeves I don't blame you really. I don't know if the fact that I can't find much about the new lights is good or bad...

Jesterrace It's VERY pricey! I love me some xenia and I've got a 26 gal in the works that I can move any excess into. The bit I've got in my 13.5 hasn't outgrown it's novelty as of yet at least

I'd love a Kessil but I don't have the money. If the stock light doesn't cut it I'll probably replace it with the LuminI Nano Asta 20 - it's supposed to be the budget version of the Kessil A80 and it's got encouraging reviews. I'll see how I go

Thank you for taking the time to respond everyone!

DCJ
So I switched from the LuminI back to the stock light (after receiving 3 LuminI lights and having NONE of them work properly) and I'm actually pretty happy with it. The nems seem happy, always extended and colourful.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom