Fluval Spec 2.5 Lights And Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by AJ34, Aug 18, 2019.

1. AJ34

AJ34Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok so I bought the spec a while ago for the purpose mostly of growing some plants and housing a single fish. Well that tank is always algae filled. I thought maybe...it was the placement as natural light was present as well. I moved it to a darker location and still algae fest...I assume it's partially the led lights? has anyone else had crazy algae with this tank? I actually took my anacharis out and it grows better in other tanks with cheap low lights I think because it doesn't have to compete with the algae. My anubias are just covered in algae and have never seemed to thrive. I don't have problems with this in any other tanks so I'm just curious.

2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    What sort of algae is it?.is it fuzz on the glass or filaments on the plants or something else?. If you are able to remove the algae by hand and encourage the plants to grow with plant feed soon the plants will use up the nutrients the algae needs to bloom and it should then stay under control.

3. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    Black and green on plants

On plants and on glass smells awful

4. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds like a water Bourne algae. The only non chemical solution is to use a uv unit if you have one if not you might need to go the chemical route, usually I wouldn't recommend algaecide but as you have no fish in the tank it's probably safe. If your plants are newly planted they may take a while to establish and start growing and using nutrients the algae use to grow. Remove any algae you can first.

5. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    No UV unit... so like API algae fix something like that ?will that kill snails?

6. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think it killed the snails I had put in there which is sad but I have like hundreds from feeding my former puffer