Fluval sea halo

Leonfish1234

Hi
I was wondering do you think a fluval Sea halo 22w lamp would be enough light to keep beginner coral like zoas in a 2 foot by 1foot by a 1foot deep 13 gallon tank
,any thanks
right now I'm using an old fluval reef 2.0 light that is way to big for the tank
also could one of these cheap red, blue and white ones you get on eBay for like 25-30 dollars work for now as I'm on a tight budget

HarrisonAquatics

After looking up the light you're talking about (the one I think you're talking about, anyway) I don't think you'd have much luck with coral. Maybe some zoas and mushrooms at the very, very top of the tank.

I'd look into a PAR 38 bulb. Lighting doesn't really get any cheaper than that for a small tank.

Then, pair that with a desk lamp or something similar. Or, save up for the Hipargero Aqua Knight. That'd grow a bunch of coral for you, and it's only $60.

I get being on a tight budget, but if you get something cheap that doesn't work, you're out the money and still have to buy a decent light anyway. Those are the two best options that I know of. The Hipargero would be a better choice - the PAR 38 would grow some coral, but it'd only light part of the tank, so you'd have dI'm corners.

Leonfish1234

Cool thanks I will look into getting the hipargero also will dosing salifert coral food help with growth many thanks

HarrisonAquatics

It can, but I wouldn't worry about feeding corals too much. For someone starting out, it just creates a lot of nutrient issues.

Leonfish1234

Cool thank you for your help and advice

Leonfish1234

This is my tank as it stands

Leonfish1234

As the lid is not changeable for a new light I'm gonna build a new lid and use some sort of clear acrylic with wooden sides

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom