Fluval Sea Evo Beginner Setup Question 

BobRocio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept freshwater aquariums, mainly cichlids for about 15 or so years now and looking into trying my first marine setup.

I want to try a nano setup using the Fluval Sea Evo basically because of its ease of setup and maintenance plus affordable price. It’s around 13.5 US gallons I believe, 52 Litres.

I plan on starting it as a fish only setup (may try growing some LPS once established and confident in my abilities) using live rock and probably Carib Sea live sand. This would be a specimen tank because of its small size so I would only really want to have 1 single fish and maybe some inverts. I was thinking a Pygmy wrasse but that’s dependant on availability in Australia. I know six line wrasse are readily available but they seem like one would probably get to large for this system? (I’m really into wrasse sand basslets so if there is a good option out there for this tank let me know).

I plan on adding the Fluval PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer to the system and using Red Sea brand salt mix.

Any advice on sticking or set up would be much appreciated :)

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, while you wait for some responses, if you haven’t already, have a look at some of the stickied threads at the top of the beginners board , there’s also the free Fishlore e book here FREE Saltwater Aquarium and Reef Tank Book

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wrasses are a great option. Technically the 6 line doesn't get any bigger than 3 inches but they are a very active fish and ideally should have 2-3 feet of horizontal swimming room, even if they are the only fish (which is a good idea since they are often terrible community fish). Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasses are ideally suited for that tank, but if not maybe something like a Clown Goby could be a fun alternative. Here are some Clown Gobies that are out there:

Live Aquaria - Search Results for Clown Goby

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love clown gobies. Very personable and cute.
If you can go bigger you won’t regret it.

BobRocio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks so much, I really love both of those wrasses. I’ve found a really good LFS that is focused on marine aquaria so I’m hoping they will be able to order one of those in!

I do like the green clown goby too so if the wrasses fall through I will see if I can get a hold of one of those.

I have been looking into the Fluval ps2 mini skimmer and have seen mixed reviews. Anyone have any experience with these? I would love to get one if it’s just to learn about how to use a protein skimmer but obviously the health of the livestock is more important so I was wondering if it would just be better to utilise one of the back chambers as a mini refugium instead of having the protein skimmer?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom