Question Fluval Plant 3.0 Vs Power Outage

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Question for the ppl with Fluval Plant 3.0 lights.

Does the light keep track of the time while the power is out and simply continue running as if nothing had happened when the power comes back?

Or is it like my microwave and the time gets reset until you connect to it again.

DK314

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would also like to know about this since I also run the Fluval Plant 3.0

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DK314 said:
I would also like to know about this since I also run the Fluval Plant 3.0
Got some responses on reddit and a post on another forum.

It resets to 00:00, kinda like my microwave/oven/vcr. I'm about to find out tonite if it will still run the schedule but from the incorrect time.

It's really bad... for high tech setups where timing the lights in sequence with the CO2 is important. And I'll be away on vacations now and again, and right now with it being the rainy season we get more power outages.... /sigh

My Current Satellite LED+ Pro is much better, the timer unit has a time keeping battery, and just continues with the schedule when the power is back. My CO2 is on a smart adapter so when power comes on, it gets the time from the wifi.

On any low tech tank this would be fine by me. But I only got the light because of the very high output, which is mostly useful on a high tech tank.

DK314

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I found this video while doing some research myself. I might give it a try. It talks about using a second timer side by side with the fluval built in timer and program. It might be worth a watch.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are finding out totally what I'm going through with the Fluval Fresh and Plant 3.0!!
I come home to find it in moonlight mode just to discover if there is any sort of power failure even brief you are SOL. I contacted Fluval and asked what is up with this total nonsense for a very expensive light??? Their useless suggestion was update my app because I also get repeated "connection failed" nags up to 5-6. I updated the crapapp to the socalled latest and now I'm greeted with an asinine password as useless as **** on a chicken. I enter the default 000000 and it doesn't even give me an icon to click on to enter the login, total rubbish and at least the cancel logon works. They also suggested updating the firmware using this crapapp and it indicates one is available. Many bad product indicators here but I do the upgrade and during the upgrade my light shut down and now it doesn't power on and won't connect to the crapapp. My light is now bricked and I will have to send it away totally at my expense. After all of this **** I read in their crapfaq in the event of a power failure it must be connected to using Bluetooth!! Picture this, you are far far away on vacation etc. and there is a power failure. While you are gone your lights will not come back on and I have wifI security cameras that I can watch my fish and plants die!! You are expected to contact somebody to:
A)travel to your house
B)this poor slob will have to install the crapapp on his or her phone and figure it out
C)be greeted with a stupid password that doesn't logon and all of this because of totally lame design!!
These stunned bananas design it that the clock works and is up to date along with your light settings BUT you have to connect or try to with Bluetooth to turn it on. The only way around this is disable the Pro (Fluval terminology for poor) and run an external timer on it and no longer have a ramp timer. Now it is the same as my 2016 Aquasky2.0 without Bluetooth but instead over $100 more. Now as I package up my expensive garbage and pay to ship for warranty what alternatives are there that retain their timer memory and don't require a **** connection by Bluetooth??

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
An update to my situation and Tom at Fluval Montreal branch was able to help me out! First of all the V1.1.2 app that allowed me to update my firmware was defective from day one. When Tom phoned me after my enquiry he quickly shouted don't use V1.1.2!! Tooooo late I told him because I had already used it and the result was a bad update! He suggested the next version V1.1.3 which I proceed to do but nothing happened and this was due to lack of knowledge on how to use this app in THIS situation. When nothing was happening due to lack of knowledge and understanding he thought perhaps my 5C wasn't up to the task and suggested locating somebody with a newer iPhone. This I did and at that time yet another version of the app came around V1.1.4 Now we installed the app and to my surprise it detected my light even though it wasn't coming on and the touch pad is not lit red,green,blue. We sat and looked at the app and what was going on not realizing the box in the icon needed to be pressed and a check mark entered in the box to indicate to the app this is a light I want to use the app for!! Again lack of information and knowledge because they change an app in only a couple of days but information is limited.
I now phoned Tom back and explained the situation but at this time I put this app on my 5C and discovered the checkmark mystery but because it had a bad update and incomplete firmware I couldn't open the main menu showing settings etc.
At this point Tom explained yet another thing I didn't know and in this situation with a corrupted firmware an update can be forced upon the light.
Click on the icon for the light.
It will now highlight itself if it is communicating, if not it will give the warning "connection failed"
At this point Tom instructed me to place my finger on the icon and slide or swipe to the left.
This opens a small menu with update or cancel.
I selected update and now a menu opens up showing that I have V1.2 or what's left of it. It downloaded the V1.3 and indicated 100% downloaded but stalled and wouldn't do the update! Tom indicated he was going to email a link and the call ended.
He sent me an email with a link to download TestFlight app. And I installed and right away it indicated I had Fluvalsmart and at this point I discovered there was yet another update on the app. Updates popping up everyday clearly indicates problems with the apps.
TestFlight complained that I already had the app when I selected update app and I ignored the warning and now have V1.1.5.
Now I go through the swipe to the left, the menu opens up, select update and
Download complete,100% bang without even selecting proceed it erases my damaged V1.2 and installs V1.3 and the light comes on!!

The previous apps are defective resulting in an incomplete update(v1.1.2)
Stalling on update following through after download (1.1.3&1.1.4)

Now I'm reading posts with others mentioning their lights nolonger working after the update attempt and after this CHECK your app version. DO NOT USE V1.1.2 as well!

I phoned Tom back to give him an update on my results and his comment is the majority of the problems are Fluval light owners using iPhones. Very few using Android phones along with perhaps problems with the apps being indicated by so many different apps in less than a week!
Also Tom recommended unplugging the light from power when updating the phone app and if things were having difficulty happening unplug the light and reboot the phone such as powering it off and then back on and next plug the light back into the power.

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hennmann said:
You are finding out totally what I'm going through with the Fluval Fresh and Plant 3.0!!
Are you on a secret mission ? You’ve been telling that story over and over, every time the subject is even remotely related to your problem.

Give it a rest...

melrosemark

Reaction score
Hennman, many thanks for your detailed report of your Fluval 3.0 fix. I was updating mine today (after installing a new C02 system) and my light became a brick. Fluval is, of course, closed on the weekends. After some searching I ran across your post, and I'm now typing this next to my well lit 90 gal. Thanks again. Mark

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
melrosemark said:
Hennman, many thanks for your detailed report of your Fluval 3.0 fix. I was updating mine today (after installing a new C02 system) and my light became a brick. Fluval is, of course, closed on the weekends. After some searching I ran across your post, and I'm now typing this next to my well lit 90 gal. Thanks again. Mark
Your welcome melrosemark! IT IS A PROBLEM when insufficient information is provided and this is topped off with a defective app as well. It was such a problem that new apps were coming out every other day! As mentioned most problems were with Apple IOS as well as Tom at Fluval mentioned to me. I phoned back enquiring bout manual and power interruptions and this is the only solution!! I contacted the manufacturer of the backup power supply re the 1500/900watt unit and here is reality! At a mere 100-130 watts draw off this unit it only has a backup time of 83 minutes or less! Some on this forum scoff at my situation but for many this is reality! This is why I say
If your not part of the solution you are part of the problem.
Pass this information on because due to a defective app I came to the conclusion my light was bricked but you shall notice it is still detected by the app even though it is appearing to be dead!

blhmbc05

Reaction score
hennmann said:
An update to my situation and Tom at Fluval Montreal branch was able to help me out! First of all the V1.1.2 app that allowed me to update my firmware was defective from day one. When Tom phoned me after my enquiry he quickly shouted don't use V1.1.2!! Tooooo late I told him because I had already used it and the result was a bad update! He suggested the next version V1.1.3 which I proceed to do but nothing happened and this was due to lack of knowledge on how to use this app in THIS situation. When nothing was happening due to lack of knowledge and understanding he thought perhaps my 5C wasn't up to the task and suggested locating somebody with a newer iPhone. This I did and at that time yet another version of the app came around V1.1.4 Now we installed the app and to my surprise it detected my light even though it wasn't coming on and the touch pad is not lit red,green,blue. We sat and looked at the app and what was going on not realizing the box in the icon needed to be pressed and a check mark entered in the box to indicate to the app this is a light I want to use the app for!! Again lack of information and knowledge because they change an app in only a couple of days but information is limited.
I now phoned Tom back and explained the situation but at this time I put this app on my 5C and discovered the checkmark mystery but because it had a bad update and incomplete firmware I couldn't open the main menu showing settings etc.
At this point Tom explained yet another thing I didn't know and in this situation with a corrupted firmware an update can be forced upon the light.
Click on the icon for the light.
It will now highlight itself if it is communicating, if not it will give the warning "connection failed"
At this point Tom instructed me to place my finger on the icon and slide or swipe to the left.
This opens a small menu with update or cancel.
I selected update and now a menu opens up showing that I have V1.2 or what's left of it. It downloaded the V1.3 and indicated 100% downloaded but stalled and wouldn't do the update! Tom indicated he was going to email a link and the call ended.
He sent me an email with a link to download TestFlight app. And I installed and right away it indicated I had Fluvalsmart and at this point I discovered there was yet another update on the app. Updates popping up everyday clearly indicates problems with the apps.
TestFlight complained that I already had the app when I selected update app and I ignored the warning and now have V1.1.5.
Now I go through the swipe to the left, the menu opens up, select update and
Download complete,100% bang without even selecting proceed it erases my damaged V1.2 and installs V1.3 and the light comes on!!

The previous apps are defective resulting in an incomplete update(v1.1.2)
Stalling on update following through after download (1.1.3&1.1.4)

Now I'm reading posts with others mentioning their lights nolonger working after the update attempt and after this CHECK your app version. DO NOT USE V1.1.2 as well!

I phoned Tom back to give him an update on my results and his comment is the majority of the problems are Fluval light owners using iPhones. Very few using Android phones along with perhaps problems with the apps being indicated by so many different apps in less than a week!
Also Tom recommended unplugging the light from power when updating the phone app and if things were having difficulty happening unplug the light and reboot the phone such as powering it off and then back on and next plug the light back into the power.
Good morning! My husband began updating the firmware on our Fluval light last night and now it is dead. I would like to try your solution. Just curious as to what the testflight app is? I downloaded that app, but I am at work and not at home where my tank is. I hope to try your solution when I get home this afternoon.
Thanks,
Brandy

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
Mine doesn't set back to zero. It's bluetooth so it just goes back with what ever setting your phone time is, it's automatic. However, when shut off you have to open the app and reconnect it, it will auto jump to whatever time setting it was on according to the time of day. When I clean my tank I just un plug everything from the wall, when re plugged in everything goes back on except the lights. I go into the app and I re-connect it, I don't have to reset any time settings. If you're at work and come home after a power out you'd just reconnect it with a click, not a problem and your plants won't die from a few hours of no light. It is a problem if you're going on vacation because you would need someone to turn it back on with bluetooth setup for it to be automated with a full cycle again. Assuming you take your phone on vacation, which most people do, someone would then have to go manually turn your lights on and off each morning for you while you're gone. For me, if I were to go on vacation, I would just buy a normal outlet timer and just use the manual off/on with that timer. In that event, if a power outage happened it would turn back on with the use of the timer outlet. You wouldn't get the full spectrum of sunrise to sunset, it would just be standard off/on.... but that's ok for vacation. I think fluval just needs to work on their software more and maybe eventually it will have a way to auto reconnect without having to open the app and do it.

AndrewFish

Reaction score
This is a great light despite the power outage issue. Like the previous poster I also use it in conjunction with a wall timer outlet. However, each night at 11:59 I program the wall timer to switch the power to the light off. I then program it to switch the power back on 1 minute later at midnight. What this does is synchronise the light's internal clock (which resets to 00:00 upon any power outage) with the actual midnight wall clock time. The light retains all my custom bluetooth programming and resumes that custom programming at the specified time that morning. You will not need to reconnect to the light via bluetooth. At worst you might miss an entire day of light operation before the midnight resync... a cloudy day I suppose. Give it a try.

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, my power went out yesterday and when I got home, the Fluval Plant 3.0 was still "green," indicating that it had stayed switched to Bluetooth. I did log back into it with my phone to resynch it. Assuming that reset the clock to my phone's time. Working fine. Do people travel a lot? I don't really see it as a problem, but I don't travel.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One thing I would recommend for people to try is installing a UPS(battery backup) to run their equipment on. Similar to what people use for their computer equipment at home. Some can be networked as well and you can setup alerting you let you know when you have an outage.

You can get them in varying sizing and battery capacity.

this will cover you for momentary outages or long outages depending on the capacity. This would stop your fluval light reset in the even the power dropped for a second.

This is especially handy if you utilize a sponge filter since they do not use nearly the power as some of your larger hob or canisters. You could run a heater and air pump for a decent duration of time if needed during a power outage.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately the lights don’t automatically reconnect to the Bluetooth device or store previous settings.

I regularly log back into the app just to refresh the lights. The 500 in particular seems to go on at its own schedule about once a week. The 800 is mostly ok. Got rid of the nano use for now.

New Threads