Fluval Plant 3.0 Melt Down (coming Your Way)

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Came home this evening and my Fluval Plant 3.0 lights were off - hours before they were due to shut off.

Went to the app and it was suddenly asking me for a password - i had never set one. It wasn't accepting the factory default 000000

Fluval have just updated the software.

You now have options to set up to 6 time periods (up from 4) in the new "Pro" mode.

This is great - but why did the update also cancel my current settings and require a password which I've never set???

Got round the issue by hitting the Bluetooth icon and updating the software, but man it was a bumpy ride - without prior notification and shut my lights off during peak photo period.

All looks good now, but what a awful introduction to some nice new features.

if you have a Fluval 3.0 just letting you know from + hours ahead here in SE Asia, you may be in for a bumpy 24hrs

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for heads up. I am really excited about the six time periods ...

I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow ...

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You now have options to set up to 6 time periods (up from 4) in the new "Pro" mode.

This is great - but why did the update also cancel my current
The pro mode is completely new and there are up to 10 programmable time periods.

There is also a new night mode in auto mode.

The password is also a new feature. You can change it if you want.

So you can set up "siesta periods"?? That would be awesome
Yes, you now can do siestas, within the 10 time periods, in pro mode.

I made a post about the upgrade yesterday or the day before, with tutorial videos, if you care to look for it.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I set up my pro mode... Then changed it to the planted tank profile , lol. Not sure what levels to set the various color lights. For my low to medium light plants not sure what percentage to set things too. 100% is in my likely overkilll in my low tech setup

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I set up my pro mode... Then changed it to the planted tank profile , lol. Not sure what levels to set the various color lights. For my low to medium light plants not sure what percentage to set things too. 100% is in my likely overkilll in my low tech setup
I’m going with the advice of not more than 5% blue, ever (causes algae) and no more than 65% for the whites and about 30%-40% red for a low-tech tank. Of course not all day, you need to adjust intensity according to the time of day. This would be your highest point, mid-day (noon).

This is from of the plant gurus on Youtube and it works for me.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Came home this evening and my Fluval Plant 3.0 lights were off - hours before they were due to shut off.

Went to the app and it was suddenly asking me for a password - i had never set one. It wasn't accepting the factory default 000000

Fluval have just updated the software.

This is great - but why did the update also cancel my current settings and require a password which I've never set???

Got round the issue by hitting the Bluetooth icon and updating the software, but man it was a bumpy ride - without prior notification and shut my lights off during peak photo period.

All looks good now, but what a awful introduction to some nice new features.

if you have a Fluval 3.0 just letting you know from + hours ahead here in SE Asia, you may be in for a bumpy 24hrs
Watch out!! You are probably experiencing what I already found out! If you have your ramp timer or should I say your built in timer in use and experience a planned power failure by your power company, a power failure etc. your lights WILL NOT come back on and in my case remained in perpetual moonlight mode PERIOD! Your only option Fluval has informed me is you need to get somebody over to your house install the lousy app on their phone and attempt to connect. It retains the correct time and settings but needs some poor slob to come over and connect. I'm greeted with numerous "connection failed" nags even with the updated app. Also I'm greeted with the asinine password and I use the default 000000 but there is no icon to press to continue so I always have to cancel logon. Okay this app indicates a firmware update so instead of using better judgement I select this garbage. During this procedure my light powered down and refuses to turn back on which means updating firmware bricked my expensive light forcing me to pay to ship it to these clowns and hopefully in a month I will get a replacement!!
BEWARE OF THE UPDATE!
The only way around the power failure saga is disable Pro or ramp mode and select manual and like my 2016 Aquasky2.0 without Bluetooth and use an external timer. Please remind me why I paid more for a light that has more problems with NO SOLUTIONS??

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Watch out!! You are probably experiencing what I already found out! If you have your ramp timer or should I say your built in timer in use and experience a planned power failure by your power company, a power failure etc. your lights WILL NOT come back on and in my case remained in perpetual moonlight mode PERIOD! Your only option Fluval has informed me is you need to get somebody over to your house install the lousy app on their phone and attempt to connect. It retains the correct time and settings but needs some poor slob to come over and connect. I'm greeted with numerous "connection failed" nags even with the updated app. Also I'm greeted with the asinine password and I use the default 000000 but there is no icon to press to continue so I always have to cancel logon. Okay this crapapp indicates a firmware update so instead of using better judgement I select this garbage. During this procedure my light powered down and refuses to turn back on which means updating firmware bricked my expensive light forcing me to pay to ship it to these clowns and hopefully in a month I will get a replacement!!
BEWARE OF THE UPDATE!
The only way around the power failure saga is disable Pro or ramp mode and select manual and like my 2016 Aquasky2.0 without Bluetooth and use an external timer. Please remind me why I paid more for a light that has more problems with NO SOLUTIONS??
Gee, I love my light. Haven't had power issue yet. Why not just get a UPS or battery backup for your light (and pumps/filters) if power is that unreliable where you live?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a troll. Signed up just to whine about the light on every thread he could find. Didn't fill out his profile.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It isn't a troll and in reality my power is unreliable because I live in a small town and not within the grid of a city. A backup power source has been seriously considered but do the math.
My 48 inch is 59 continuous watts of power and my 36 inch is 49 watts. On this aquarium is an FX6 canister filter as well. This also isn't including my 39 watt Aquasky light as well but this light doesn't have Bluetooth so other than the external timer being late depending on the length of power failure will determine on how late my timer is.
Typically if we have a severe storm such as what we typically get several times a month or more this time of the year including a severe Thunder Storm watch issued yet again yesterday evening we will quite often get a short brown out or power out for a number of seconds up to 5 minutes and this is more than enough!!
A week ago the power company who is government controlled in my province of Saskatchewan or otherwise known as a Crown Corporation had a scheduled or planned power outage and this was from 4:00AM to 2:30PM so let's see if a backup power supply will last that long?? Typically they are only intended for a user of a computer to safely backup, exit an important program on a computer and safely shut down instead of the computer crashing and losing everything being worked on.
Quite simply put you WILL have to disable your ramp timer and use your Fluval Fresh and Plant (or Marine or ANYTHING Bluetooth) on manual mode using an external timer plain and simple! An external timer that is solid state WITH an actual time memory to keep time should be used or the automatic feeders will dump food at totally the wrong time if the lights are out of synch which they most certainly will be if using a mechanical timer using an electric motor driven clock!
Due to the amounts of times my power is interupted living in central Saskatchewan and in a very windy location with NUMEROUS interruptions I'm experiencing my moonlight mode OFTEN and now I'm discovering a number of other Fluval owners including on this forum are experiencing the same situation totally not knowing what the heck is going on such as myself. This is 2019 and these lights retain proper time and setting info at a power failure but due to this and a design improvement needed CANNOT TURN ON. As I mentioned earlier picture yourself going on vacation for a week or more or in my case my work rotation dictates that I'm gone for two weeks and home for two weeks EVERY MONTH. All it takes is the power to be off for a short period which can happen anywhere! Because I am now aware of this and because I and others are now becoming aware of this IF you are going away for more than a day or are on a work rotation like myself which many are switch to manual mode and use an external timer! As it is I'm now presently in another province due to an appointment so I placed a regular florescent beside my Fluval Fresh and Plant as a quick solution of "just in case". My 36 inch Fluval being bricked by the update now has a Glo T5 HO in its place and it will be there for a month until the replacement arrives. A power bar controlled by a solid state timer will now have to be considered as a permanent solution because now when I'm gone from home the ramp timer is NOT a viable solution!

As for you Darkone and your troll comment?
Obviously if you are not part of the solution you most certainly part of the problem!

To anybody else experiencing this situation if you have a trick that gets us around this please let us know. I will also look into backup power and what they are capable of handling AND I will present an intelligent comment and not an accusation of trolling! So far Fluval only suggests manual mode so it will basically be like my Fluval Aquasky without Bluetooth or ramp timer. I guess I will reconsider looking for Aquasky now because they are much lower in cost.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As I mentioned earlier picture yourself going on vacation for a week or more or in my case my work rotation dictates that I'm gone for two weeks and home for two weeks EVERY MONTH.
I’m sorry about your bad power experience. But given your situation, which is rather extreme, on top of unreliable power service, I wonder if even having an aquarium is feasible ?

The vast majority of people will not experience such extreme conditions and for them, this light is a blessing.

It’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it ?

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My firmware update failure started after finding or attempting to find a solution to the lights not coming in after a power failure or a momentary power glitch or interruption. The US branch suggested an updated mobile APP and a firmware update. Okay after this information I went to my APP store and downloaded an update! The one available was 1.1.2 and this one indicated firmware as well as an upgrade was available. I selected upgrade and it went through the motion of updating and stalls. Not only did it stall or crash during this procedure the light turned off and never came on again along with the touch pad being dark and no longer lit up! A bad firmware update was the result. After a number of emails and the possible warranty issue requiring my light being shipped off to Quebec I received a phone call from Tom who is tech support in the Montreal location. I went through what had happened and he got surprised with the APP version I used and quickly blurted out DO NOT USE THAT ONE! I said that was all that was available at that time! It sounds like only 3-5 days later they had a newer one so I updated to it. This one was 1.1.3 and again I attempted to retry the upgrade which he said is possible. All the app would do is indicate it was connected by turning the selected app icon white and nothing more. Through an email to Tom, he suggested my iPhone 5C was possibly not modern enough and look for somebody with a newer Android or IOS device which I did. We (the iPhone 8+ owner) went through the same song and dance with the same thing which is the white icon and gave up. I phoned Tom again and unless the light is fully functioning you cannot open the menu indicating an upgrade being available. Tom informed me that IF it indicates being connected such as the icon turning white it is connected unless it indicates connection failed. He instructed me to slide my finger to the left on the icon to reveal a menu. In this menu was upgrade! Doing this you can now force an upgrade when things go wrong. I selected it and it indicated I still had V1.2 & asked if I wished to upgrade and selected yes. It indicated it located the firmware, downloaded it and indicated download was 100%. It would do nothing after that! Tom then mentioned there was yet another way to go and provided me a link to software called TestFlight so I installed that app and immediately it indicated I had the Fluval app as well. This was now only a few days later yet another update and I selected to install. The TestFlight app complained I already had Fluvalsmart and ignored it and installed 1.1.5!! I thought, enough of this non working nonsense, and ignored the nag and yet again updated.
NOW with TestFlight and 1.1.5 I repeated the above mentioned procedures and now after swiping finger to the left it indicated I had V1.2 and do you want to update which I selected yes.
Well yes it downloaded V1.3, indicated it was 100% downloaded and didn't even wait for my prompt to install but went ahead and before my eyes erased the V1.2, and immediately started to install V1.3!! The light now came on and is working. As I mentioned earlier the software for IOS was defective on more than one version and within a one week period there were 3 different versions obviously indicating faulty or buggy software! For those with the accusation of trolling well, obviously there will be many others experiencing this situation and I might add with next to no information on how to solve it.

Now given ALL of this and the situation others are experiencing with coming home and finding the light is not on due to power interruption, as far as I can tell the ONLY solution other than using a computer backup power supply with limited time available to keep them running, is you are now forced to select MANUAL mode and run an external timer. At this present time I do not know what functions are possible or not possible in manual mode?? Again we have lack of information here and my instruction manual only mentions manual is required if you do not have a smart phone, nothing else!
As for battery backup there is
CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD provides battery backup
but this is 1500VA @900watts and my Fluval Fresh and Plant 48 inch is 59 watts and my 36 inch is 49 watts. Now throw in my 37 watt Aquasky 48 inch and eventually I will be getting another 48 inch and move the 36 to my 32 gallon. The battery backup could possibly keep them all going for an hour or less but would protect from short interruptions.
As for the power situation if you live in rural locations or a small town like I do miles away from any large center, this is most certainly common! Yes I have a backup power plant due to being without power when it is -40 during a common winter blizzard for up to 5-8 hours at a time but again this is when I'm home that I can get it going! It is actually an expensive Onan RV power plant that is small in KW but has very high demand capabilities intended to get the roof mounted A/C going and once going handles it very well.
900 watts sounds high on the Cyberpower BUT this only indicates what it can supply at once but for how long is a different story!

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well yes it downloaded V1.3, indicated it was 100% downloaded and didn't even wait for my prompt to install but went ahead and before my eyes erased the V1.2, and immediately started to install V1.3!!
I can’t believe you’re having so much trouble. Seriously, I have an ipad and it worked the first time and took about 3 minutes. AND my old settings were retained.

I’m on version 1.1.4. by the way.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hope you figure it out. Every once in a while (like the 0.0000001% situation) some crazy thing happens like yours, sorry to hear that, but people should realize it's a bit of a fluke/chain of bad luck events and not a common occurrence with the light. Vast majority of people will have great experience.

That said, why not buy a UPS from APC or something? They have powerful enough batteries to keep your whole setup ,(300W) going for several minutes in case of power outage. Don't plug in your heater, just your light and filter.

Good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom