Fluval Or Tropica Disposable Co2

SLeroux

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Interested in getting a CO2 set up for my 10 gallon. I am not looking to spend a fortune (and am in Canada) so interested in the fluval ($99) or tropica ($129) set ups with disposable canisters. Just until I see how CO2 goes and can then upgrade to a more permanent solution.

My question is without a solenoid timer, and my lights set to two four hours blocks a day with a 7 hour block in between (8:30 to 11:30 and then 5:00 to 9:00) would I run it from when I leave in the morning till a little while after the light shut off?

Or is CO2 with no timer not an option because it would run too long with no lights on? Would not be looking for crazy high output as I have only low tech plants. Just something to help boost growth and stabilize algae.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have no knowledge of the fluval but I use the tropica with no timer and just ensure the diffuser is empty by nightfall...you quickly learn how much is enough. It also comes with an extra attachment to stop a canister dump. Not quite sure how exactly, but that's the point of the solenoid thingy. This, I should tell you, is not a popular choice amongst those with a lot of co2 knowledge.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would go with Fluvan 88g as you will quickly realize that disposable canisters are very expensive ($15 each and last about 2-3 weeks). You will then upgrade to a paintball canister ($ 60 something at Canadian Tire for a 24 oz=680 grams) that costs $15 to refill but lasts 2-3 months. You will need an adapter ($15 on Amazon) to connect the paintball canister to the Fluval regulator. You can keep the diffuser that comes with Fluval 88g kit. There are other options of course, this is what I have on my 75 gallon. No solenoid, injecting 24/7.

On a 10 gallon though...I would look for a solenoid to stop injection at night. A smaller tank is less stable and less forgiving than a larger one. I would not stop injection during the siesta (that's the whole point....to let CO2 build up again for a new photoperiod) and I will make sure that plants rest in darkness during that time.

SLeroux

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
aniroc said:
I would go with Fluvan 88g as you will quickly realize that disposable canisters are very expensive ($15 each and last about 2-3 weeks). You will then upgrade to a paintball canister ($ 60 something at Canadian Tire for a 24 oz=680 grams) that costs $15 to refill but lasts 2-3 months. You will need an adapter ($15 on Amazon) to connect the paintball canister to the Fluval regulator. You can keep the diffuser that comes with Fluval 88g kit. There are other options of course, this is what I have on my 75 gallon. No solenoid, injecting 24/7.

On a 10 gallon though...I would look for a solenoid to stop injection at night. A smaller tank is less stable and less forgiving than a larger one. I would not stop injection during the siesta (that's the whole point....to let CO2 build up again for a new photoperiod) and I will make sure that plants rest in darkness during that time.
Wow this was super helpful! Thank you. I have a 40 long as well. Think I could do all day with that one like your 75? I’ll look into the tank at Canadian tire and maybe just splurge for the solenoid timer valve for the 10.

Jstabile316

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Why not just get a pressurized system for the same price? I use a 20oz paintball tank with a Milwaukee duel valve regulator with solenoid that cost 80$ on amazon, I use it with a 20oz paintball tank that you can get at most sporting good stores for 20$ . Then you just need a 10$ adapter to hook the regulator to the paintball tank. It costs 5$ to refill and lasts me about 1 month on my 75 gallon.

SLeroux

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jstabile316 said:
Why not just get a pressurized system for the same price? I use a 20oz paintball tank with a Milwaukee duel valve regulator with solenoid that cost 80$ on amazon, I use it with a 20oz paintball tank that you can get at most sporting good stores for 20$ . Then you just need a 10$ adapter to hook the regulator to the paintball tank. It costs 5$ to refill and lasts me about 1 month on my 75 gallon.
Appreciate the thought! I live in Canada so when I just looked up your regulator it actually costs me $150 on amazon, $134 from another online option plus shipping. Totally appreciate it's cheaper in the long run. It's expensive to get set up with what I need for a pressurized system. Might just have to continue to wait.

Jstabile316

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Darn that sucks almost double the price... I use a paintball tank with a asa valve on my other tank. It could be a little bit of a pain to adjust the needle valve on it but once you get it set it stays consistent and you could get a cheap inline solenoid to work with it. I’ll send some pictures of my cheap setup later when I get home from work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom